What they say
- Graduate employer profile
- Equal opportunities and diversity
- Graduate profiles (4)
- How to get hired (2)
- Inside buzz round-up
- Inside buzz reviews (27)
What we say
What employees say
Breakdown of Hogan Lovells' interview process
The assessment days for training contracts take place in August for law students and January for non-law students. The assessment days for vacation schemes are scheduled for January and February for law students and October and November for non-law students.
Hogan Lovells assessment day
The itinerary of the day typically runs as follows:
- Introduction to the firm from a partner and associates
- Critical thinking test
- Informal buffet lunch with trainees
- Commercial business exercise (training contracts assessment day only)
- Interview with two partners or a partner and member of the grad recruitment team
- Guided tour of Atlantic House
The introduction to the firm is designed to give interviewees an overview of the latest goings-on – new clients, deals of note and so on. The critical thinking test that follows is similar to the one candidates submitted along with their written application. The commercial exercise that follows lunch is group exercise with other candidates and assesses team skills.
Hogan Lovells interview
After the rigors of the commercial exercise comes the partner interview which is said to be fairly relaxed and informal. Previous questions posted on graduate forums include:
- Tell me about a recent transaction in the news. What departments would it involve?
- Can you explain the difference between contract and tort?
- Why commercial law?
- Why do you want to practice at Hogan Lovells?
- What other law firms have you applied to?
Firm literature suggests preparing for the interview by reading the business and legal press to stay abreast of relevant issues and developments. Candidates should also consider their academic achievements and work experience, including vacation schemes and open days, and match the skills and qualities they've developed to those required of a trainee solicitor. On the day of the interview, it's important to project calm and confidence because this is what lawyers must inspire in their clients.
The day concludes with a guided tour of Atlantic House. The firm usually reaches a decision within five working days.
Candidates must bring to interview transcripts or certificates for their GCSE and A-level exams (or equivalent) and all degree modules they have completed to date.
The firm is willing to reimburse travel expenses for the journey to and from the Holborn offices.