Employers offering summer internships and industrial placement years in civil engineering, construction and quantity surveying
Looking for a summer placement or sandwich year in civil engineering, construction management, quantity surveying/cost management, facilities management, building surveying…? These are offered by numerous construction employers, including the following...
Summer internships in construction, engineering and/or surveying
- AECOM offers summer placements across its building, engineering, water, transportation, cost consultancy, environment and design, planning and economics business lines.
- Arcadis offers a small number of summer internships but this varies year on year.
- Arup typically offers summer placements of six to eight weeks.
- Atkins offers summer internships to students of any university year for eight to twelve weeks.
- Babcock International Group usually offers summer internships of ten to twelve weeks.
- Balfour Beatty offers summer placements of eight to twelve weeks in civil engineering, quantity surveying, construction management and commercial management.
- BAM Construct UK Ltd typically offers summer internships.
- Bechtel offers a ten-week summer internship in infrastructure.
- CH2M offers internships.
- JLL offers summer internships aimed at students graduating from their course in time for the following September.
- Laing O'Rourke' offers summer internships in a range of areas.
- Mace offers ten-week summer placements to first-, second- and penultimate-year students.
- Mott MacDonald offers summer internships lasting around twelve weeks.
- Sir Robert McAlpine typically offers placements of eight to twelve weeks.
- Skanska offers eight-week summer internships.
Industrial placements for sandwich years in construction, engineering and/or surveying
- AECOM usually offers industrial year placements building, engineering, water, transportation, cost consultancy, environment and design, planning and economics business lines.
- Arcadis is offering year out opportunities for sandwich-year students in cost consultancy, facilities management, building surveying, project management and building services engineering.
- Arup traditionally offers mid-degree placements of eight to twelve months.
- Atkins offers industrial placements.
- Babcock International Group offers placements of either six months or twelve months.
- Balfour Beatty offers placements of six or twelve months in civil engineering, quantity surveying, construction management and commercial management.
- BAM Construct UK Ltd offers industrial placements of twelve month in construction management and quantity surveying.
- Barratt Homes is offering a 12-month placement in some of its offices.
- CH2M offers industrial placements.
- Galliford Try plc offers placement years .
- JLL offers sandwich years.
- Mace offers sandwich year industrial placements.
- Mott MacDonald offers industrial placements lasting 12 months.
- Network Rail offers year in industry placemnts in engineering and in its environment and sustainable development business, among others.
- Sir Robert McAlpine offers industrial training placements of six or twelve months.
- Skanska UK offers industrial placements lasting up to twelve months
- Wates offers year-out opportunities in building services, production (often site management) and quantity surveying.
NB: These lists are not exhaustive. They are intended to act as a starting point for your work experience search rather than act as full and complete lists.
Other construction and engineering work experience
You can win an international summer internship with Laing O’Rourke by entering the TARGETjobs Construction, Engineering & Design Undergraduate of the Year competition. To be eligible to enter, you need to be an undergraduate student in your first or second year of a three-year course or in your first, second or third year of a four-year course. You’ll also need to be studying, construction, quantity surveying or civil, mechanical, electrical or architectural engineering.
Mace is among the construction employers that offer Easter insight weeks for first- and second-year undergraduates.
Want to gain experience overseas? The Intern Group offers engineering and architectural internships in Australia that can last between six weeks and six months.
step offers graduates placement opportunities in a variety of roles with small-to-medium-sized businesses.
Skanska UK offers a small number of ‘research internships’ aimed at masters students undertaking research projects.
What are the deadlines for placements in construction, engineering and surveying?
Deadlines vary considerably from employer to employer. Many have fixed deadlines for their formal placements; some deadlines are set between January and the beginning of April, but an increasing number of employers are setting their deadlines before Christmas. Other companies keep their work experience vacancies ‘open’ all year, although even these employers expect to fill most of their vacancies in the early part of the year.
What does this mean in practice?
Start looking and applying as early as October and continue into the early spring. Keep a special eye out for those that close before Christmas. As you move into summer, there may still be formal vacancies available but they will be fewer in number. You can also, of course, apply speculatively to local construction, engineering and surveying firms to see whether they can offer you some work experience.