Which IT and technology employers offer summer internships or industrial placements?
Some graduate employers in the IT sector offer technology internships or formal work placements that can range from a couple of months during the summer vacation to a full sandwich year as part of your degree course. Often these are aimed at penultimate-year students. However, investment banks, a big employer of computer science graduates, are increasingly also holding short 'insights programmes' aimed at first years, or second years on four-year degrees.
Many employers use their placement schemes as the first stage in graduate recruitment - interns who impress may be fast-tracked through the graduate recruitment process.
Below is a selection of big-name technology recruiters who offer internships most years. Also take advantage of your university careers service to uncover opportunities with smaller employers.
IT summer internships
- ARM offers summer placements lasting 10 to 12 weeks
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch offers nine-week internships in numerous divisions, including technology
- Barclays Capital offers eight to ten-week summer internships in its technology division (primarily for penultimate-year students, though final years and those who have already graduated will also be considered)
- Barclays Corporate offers eight-week summer internships in numerous divisions, including technology
- BT offers 12-week summer placements in technology divisions starting in June
- Citi offers ten-week summer internships. These are primarily for penultimate-year students, though finalists can also apply.
- Commerzbank offers eight-week summer internships in various areas, including IT
- Credit Suisse offers ten-week summer internships in various divisions, including information technology
- Deutsche Bank offers summer internships of eight to ten weeks in various divisions, including group technology and operations
- Goldman Sachs offers ten-week summer internships
- Google offers internships lasting between three months and one year. Also offers a twelve-week 'trainee summer programme' for first years and a one-week 'European android camp' for first and second years.
- HSBC Global Banking and Markets offers ten-week summer internships
- IBM offers 12-week 'Extreme Blue' summer placements for second years
- Imagination Technologies offers 10 to 12 week summer placements
- Metaswitch Networks offers summer internships of a minimum of eight weeks (NB these are not restricted by year group - students in their first year, and who have not yet started university, are welcome to apply)
- M&G Investments offers summer internships of a minimum of eight weeks in various divisions, including IT and technology
- Morgan Stanley offers summer internships in technology
- Nomura offers summer internships lasting 10 weeks for penultimate year students
- Red Gate Software offers summer internships lasting eight to ten weeks, open to all students who are still at university
- RM Education sometimes offers short internships (advertised on an 'as and when' basis)
- SunGard offers summer internships, typically lasting 12 weeks
- Tessella currently only offers summer internships to Oxford University physics undergraduates
- UBS offers summer internships in numerous areas, including IT
IT industrial placements
- ARM offers industrial placements lasting 6 to 12 months
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch offers 6 and 12-month industrial placements in its technology division
- Barclays Corporate offers 50-week industrial placements
- BT offers 48-week industrial placements starting in September
- Commerzbank sometimes offers year-long industrial placements, depending on business need.
- Credit Suisse offers 6-month and 12-month industrial placements in its IT division
- Deutsche Bank offers 12-month placements
- Fidessa offers one-year industrial placements for penultimate-year students
- Goldman Sachs offers twelve-month technology placements
- Google offers internships lasting between three months and one year
- Hewlett Packard Enterprise offers 13-month internships in IT
- IBM offers 12-month industrial placements for students undertaking this as part of their degree
- Imagination Technologies offers industrial placements lasting either six months or one year
- CGI offers one-year industrial placements
- Metaswitch Networks offers one-year industrial placements
- M&G Investments offers one-year industrial placements in IT and technology (and in business and IT analysis)
- Microsoft offers 48-week industrial placements
- Mitsubishi UJF Securities International offers ten-week summer internships
- Morgan Stanley offers technology industrial placements lasting either 6 or 11 months
- Nomura offers industrial placements lasting 6 to 12 months (including an option to work in Europe)
- Red Gate Software offers a one-year engineering industrial placement
- RM Education offers 11-month industrial placements
- UBS offers 6 to 12 month industrial placements in some areas, including IT
Spring insight programmes and other IT work experience options
- Barclays Capital offers off-cycle internships throughout the year for four to six months. It also offers week long spring weeks programmes to introduce first years (and second years on four-year courses) to the organisation.
- Citi sometimes has ad hoc placements available, typically lasting between 6 and 12 weeks. Citi also offers various short springtime events.
- Credit Suisse offers five-day spring insight programmes, one of which covers 'investment banking operations: information technology and finance'. It also offers three-month internships running from September until December.
- Deutsche Bank offers one-week spring programmes for first years on three-year courses or second years on four-year courses, plus off-cycle internships of varying lengths on an ad hoc basis.
- Goldman Sachs offers two-week spring programmes in various divisions, including technology
- Morgan Stanley offers spring insight weeks (for first years on three year courses or second years on four year courses) and also a part-time technology internship in Budapest
- Nomura offers short introductory events over the Easter break for first years (and second years on four year courses)
- UBS offers a one-week 'insights' scheme in the spring
Keep track of your IT placements
Keep detailed records of what work experience you've done, where, when and what you learned, and keep this list up to date. Come application time you can easily scan for the skills and examples that relate specifically to the role you're applying for.