AECOM is built to deliver a better world. We design, build, finance and operate infrastructure assets for governments, businesses and organizations in more than 150 countries. As a fully integrated firm, we connect knowledge and experience across our global network of experts to help clients solve their most complex challenges. From high-performance buildings and infrastructure, to resilient communities and environments, to stable and secure nations, our work is transformative, differentiated and vital. A Fortune 500 firm, see how we deliver what others can only imagine on our website and social media platforms.
AECOM invests heavily in the quality of our graduate programme and the opportunities it provides. Of course we do — it is designed to equip our future leaders and technical experts. AECOM currently has more than 1,100 graduates across the UK & Ireland, learning from some of the most talented and renowned experts in their field, bringing fresh approaches and further diversifying our workforce.
We are looking for graduates from a wide range of disciplines including civil, structural, mechanical, electrical, planning, surveying, project management, building services, sustainable buildings engineering, ecology, environmental engineering, water related disciplines, and energy related disciplines.
As a company AECOM are responding fast to the fact that since we live in an interconnected and challenging world, new thinking is called for. The global population is growing, yet resources are finite and carbon emissions are already way too high. AECOM gets the bigger picture, uniting clever ingenuity with global experience. Our focus is to realise our clients’ boldest ambitions. So, where do you see yourself?
Graduate Development Programme
We invest heavily in our graduate development programme (GDP) as it is designed to help train the future leaders, both people and technical, of our business. We currently have over 1,100 graduates across numerous disciplines developing their technical & soft skills, and working towards their professional accreditation. You will learn from some of the most talented and renowned experts in their field, while bringing a fresh approach and further diversifying our workforce.
Professional accreditation is key to your development but also to AECOM as a business. We will provide you with all the support and tools required to achieve this as soon as possible, and in return we expect you to own your development to drive this forwards. Below we have listed the key components of our GDP:
- 2-day Induction – opportunity to learn more about the AECOM business globally, engage with some of our senior staff, and network with many of your fellow graduates from across the UK&I
- Residential Training Events – over the course of the GDP you will attend a number of residential training events covering key business knowledge and soft skills, including our financial, legal and commercial approaches, project management, negotiation, time management and presentation skills
- Professional Qualification – all our graduates are supported towards a relevant and recognised professional qualification, including full financial and development support
- Mentor – you will be provided with an experienced mentor who will support your professional development through regular reviews, identifying training and experience requirements, and sharing with you their knowledge and experiences. All our mentors are committed to developing the next generation of AECOM professionals, are highly regarded within their respective areas of work, and have themselves experienced the rigours of gaining professional qualifications.
- Technical Development – through on-the-job training within your team including any appropriate software training required
- Secondments – where appropriate to provide you with specific experience, or to support projects in the UK or internationally.
- CPD - Support towards your continued professional development ranging from attendance at conferences, to financial backing to enter professional awards and competitions
- Opportunity to work on live client projects from your very first day in your role
- External Training Courses where required
Multi-Disciplinary Exposure due to the nature and diversity of our business, developing your understanding of other disciplines, developing your technical expertise further, and improving your ability to work with different types of people
Social Activities– we expect you to work hard so it’s imperative that you enjoy your work environment, so regular social events are organised within the graduate community including sports clubs, cinema nights, pub quizzes and charity events,
Development doesn’t stop post GDP
The GDP is just one of a number of programmes in AECOM designed to support you as your career progresses. To help build your technical knowledge and expertise, training in your specialist area will be provided, as part of our strategy to maintain our technical excellence across the business.
To help with your continuing professional development, and to help you progress your career within AECOM, we also run a suite of management development programmes, ranging from first line manager courses to those aimed at supporting our people who lead large teams. Our very top performers may also be chosen to join one of our Talent Programmes. Aimed at our emerging talent, and those recognised as leaders of the future, these programmes expose those involved to networking opportunities across the business, a special group project and focused leadership courses.
Rio Stadium leaderboard picture credited to Robb Williamson.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!