Graduate Consultant - Transportation, Transportation Planning
AECOM is built to deliver a better world. We design, build, finance and operate infrastructure assets for governments, businesses and organizations in more than 150 countries. As a fully integrated firm, we connect knowledge and experience across our global network of experts to help clients solve their most complex challenges. From high-performance buildings and infrastructure, to resilient communities and environments, to stable and secure nations, our work is transformative, differentiated and vital. A Fortune 500 firm, see how we deliver what others can only imagine at aecom.com and @AECOM. AECOM have a number of exciting opportunities across the UK for graduates to work within our Transport Planning Team. Our team covers all areas of transport planning, from pedestrian and highway modelling, to public transport and spatial planning. As an integrated team, we provide design and planning advice from inception through to detailed design, often working alongside engineers, architects and master planners in multi-disciplinary teams. AECOM’s global reach will allow you to get involved in a wide variety of exciting projects from around the world, plus in the UK and Ireland. Recent examples include Rio 2016 Olympic Games, Qatar 2022 World Cup, Sharjah Masterplan, Paris Metro, Istanbul’s Golden Horn and many others. The wide range of projects will give you the opportunity to work with clients from both the private and public sector. These could be local transport authorities such as the UK Department of Transport and Transport for London, private developers, or overseas institutions such as the European Commission. No matter who our client is, we deliver tailored transport solutions using some of the most sophisticated modelling techniques, and applying a range of specialist software. Often starting with a blank canvass, you will be encouraged to combine creativity with technical know-how to solve our clients’ transport challenges. We will of course provide you with all the training and support you need to progress your career and develop professionally. You will be working within a positive culture where learning and development is not only supported, but also actively promoted. In return, we are looking for highly driven candidates that are eager to learn, adapt, and go the extra mile. You will be working within a project team on a daily basis and often interacting with clients, therefore excellent communication skills are a must.
- Early work with us will typically be supporting senior staff with technical input into a variety of projects. Depending on the team you will be joining, key responsibilities include:
- Assisting in data collection and analysis
- Reviewing and building transport models using various modelling tools
- Planning and evaluating future transport schemes and associated business cases
- Reviewing drawings and documents including Transport Assessments and Travel Plans
- Assisting in the preparation of reports, presentations, bids and proposals
- Attending meetings and workshops with clients and members of other disciplines.
As a graduate develops they are expected to take on more responsibility in managing our projects from inception through to completion.
- BEng in Civil Engineering, or BA/BSc Geography, Economics or Maths 2:2 (or equivalent)
- MEng in Civil Engineering 2:2 (or equivalent), or MA/MSc Geography, Economics or Maths would be an advantage
- And/or MSc in Transport Planning
- Enthusiastic, hard-working, technically proficient, with ambition and drive
- Basic computer skills essential (Word/Excel) and good report writing skills beneficial.
Our Graduate Development Programme (GDP) along with our huge scope of projects across the globe, will challenge and inspire you to make a real difference to the world we live in. Our programmes form a core part of our business strategy globally, designed to develop the best talent across numerous disciplines to lead our business into the future. We have over 1,000 graduates on our programmes across the UK and Ireland, from over 30 different disciplines, each and every one of them making a tangible difference to the environment we all live & work in. We will provide you with all the tools and support you need to achieve your professional development ambitions, including chartership with the relevant international professional institution – where we have graduates working towards over 30 professional institutions in the UK and Ireland. We demand the highest standards and expect our graduates to pass their professional review first time. You will be assigned a mentor to support & guide your development, and undertake regular training modules throughout the programme. There will be on-the-job and classroom training where required, and the opportunity to work on live client projects, with significant multi-disciplinary exposure.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!