Graduate Structural Engineer (Buildings) - Building Engineering
AECOM is built to deliver a better world. We design, build, finance and operate infrastructure assets for governments, businesses and organizations in more than 150 countries. As a fully integrated firm, we connect knowledge and experience across our global network of experts to help clients solve their most complex challenges. From high-performance buildings and infrastructure, to resilient communities and environments, to stable and secure nations, our work is transformative, differentiated and vital.
AECOM is one of the world’s largest professional engineering consultancies, bringing a comprehensive portfolio of multidisciplinary engineering skills with our structural engineers frequently providing the leading role in the development of building projects. We are currently engaged in a wide variety of building projects from world class sporting venues through to commercial properties, healthcare and research, hotels and resorts, industrial and manufacturing developments. These projects are located both in the UK and increasingly overseas. Recent examples of our projects are the award winning Halley VI research laboratory in Antarctica, the Serpentine Gallery in Hyde Park, the venues for the Rio Olympics, Spartak Moscow’s new football stadium and Portonovi One and Only Hotel Resort in Montenegro.
Structural engineers work closely within design teams to ensure that the projects we create together perform sustainably and holistically to meet the brief and budget. Increasingly we work with our other internal business lines such as architecture, environment, transportation and our own project managers to provide a one stop solution to our clients and their projects.
Across our UK offices, we wish to recruit graduates who can bring passion and flair to our work, have a real interest in improving the built environment and want to now apply their recently gained engineering skills to the real world.
Graduates commencing their careers with the AECOM structural engineering group are engaged into teams and paired with an experienced engineer who will guide and mentor them through the initial stages of their career whilst working on live projects. Your key responsibilities, with support from your team, may include the following:
- Developing analytical and design skills
- Creating designs, calculations, sketches, diagrams, schematic drawings and final working drawings under the supervision of an experienced engineer
- Collecting and analysing data under the supervision of an experienced engineer 2
- Using various tools to solve basic engineering problems
- Liaising with other disciplines within the project team to coordinate design
- Performing work in accordance with agreed upon budget and schedule under supervision
- Contributing to a wide range of projects as the work load dictates
Training is provided whilst engaged on specific projects through our formal training scheme that leads to becoming a Chartered Engineer with the Institution of Civil Engineers and Institution of Structural Engineers. Training is delivered ‘on the job’ with the active projects we deliver and through engagement on external and internally delivered training programmes. Training will develop graduates knowledge of:
- Design methods using a variety of structural materials,
- Practical application of the current design software that allows us deliver design solutions efficiently and effectively,
- The skills necessary to present our engineering solutions – this will include sketching and an understanding of the use of 3D drawing in Revit
The training will ensure all our engineers have a full set of design skills and are equipped to engage with the wider design and contractor teams.
Early work with us will typically involve:
- Assisting in the development of our projects through the different design stages
- Attending meetings and workshops with other design professionals such as architects through to inspections during the construction phase.
As our graduates develop they are expected to take on more responsibility in managing projects which in turn leads to more challenges and rewarding career progression.
The following attributes and requirements are anticipated in the graduates we wish to recruit:-
- Masters degree accredited by a professional engineering institution such as the Institution of Civil Engineers or the Institution of Structural Engineers.
- Ideally degree qualification at 2:1 or higher.
- Enthusiasm and drive to become a Chartered Engineer.
- Demonstration of the desire to create opportunity or make the most of opportunities to develop academic, engineering or life experiences.
Our Graduate Development Programme (GDP) along with our huge scope of projects across the globe, will challenge and inspire you to make a real difference to the world we live in. Our programmes form a core part of our business strategy globally, designed to develop the best talent across numerous disciplines to lead our business into the future. We have over 1,000 graduates on our programmes across the UK & Europe, from over 30 different disciplines, each and every one of them making a 3 tangible difference to the environment we all live & work in.
We will provide you with all the tools and support you need to achieve your professional development ambitions, including chartership with the relevant international professional institution – where we have graduates working towards over 30 professional institutions in the UK. We demand the highest standards and expect our graduates to pass their professional review first time. You will be assigned a mentor to support & guide your development, and undertake regular training modules throughout the programme. There will be on-the-job and classroom training where required, and the opportunity to work on live client projects, with significant multi-disciplinary exposure.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!