Graduate Sustainability Consultant (Buildings) - Building Engineering
AECOM is built to deliver a better world. We design, build, finance and operate infrastructure assets for governments, businesses and organizations in more than 150 countries. As a fully integrated firm, we connect knowledge and experience across our global network of experts to help clients solve their most complex challenges. From high-performance buildings and infrastructure, to resilient communities and environments, to stable and secure nations, our work is transformative, differentiated and vital. A Fortune 500 firm, see how we deliver what others can only imagine at aecom.com and @AECOM. AECOM’s Sustainability team comprises of specialists within our Building Engineering Business Line. We are recognised as industry leaders in the field of sustainable development. Our projects range from working with Governments to support Building Regulations and National planning policy relating to climate change, to developing energy and sustainability strategies to support the design and planning of new development and the regeneration of existing communities. We work across all construction stages, from pre-feasibility, through feasibility, design, construction and operation; and across a wide range of sectors - housing, healthcare, schools, universities, offices, retail, hospitality etc. We also deliver advice relating to existing portfolios. Our work includes:
- The development of policy on low carbon and renewable energy, climate change and sustainability issues at national, regional and local levels
- Sustainable master planning of new communities
- Energy strategies including the planning and design of decentralised energy infrastructure and energy statements
- Sustainability statements and appraisals
- Design advice and feasibility studies for new build and refurbishment projects
- Carbon management advice including energy auditing and monitoring
- Environmental assessments - BREEAM, LEED, Home Quality Mark and the RICS Ska rating
- The development of Corporate Social Responsibility policies and carbon footprint reporting
- Research into reducing energy use, improving resilience to climate change and creating more sustainable buildings and places.
- Resilience strategies for cities, infrastructure providers and businesses
Your key responsibilities, with support from your team, may include the following:
- Environmental assessments of buildings – assisting with BREEAM, LEED, Home Quality Mark and other assessments (supported by in-house training) and in time undertaking training to become a qualified assessor. This can cover both design stage and post construction assessment of buildings.
- Building energy modelling - assisting with modelling of domestic and/or non-domestic buildings (supported by in-house training) and in time undertaking training to become a qualified assessor. Building renewable energy assessments – assessing costs and carbon benefits of a range of technologies and determining the best solution for a particular project
- Developing energy strategies to support building design teams and energy statements to support planning applications
- Developing sustainability strategies to support building design teams and sustainability statements to support planning applications.
- Energy auditing and energy efficiency to identify energy, cost and carbon savings projects for existing buildings
- Heat network studies including feasibility assessments and developing designs
- Contributing to a wide range of projects as the work load dictates, including policy development work and research projects
- A science, engineering or building related bachelor degree
- Building sustainability/energy related MSc is desirable
- Good numeric and communication skills (written and verbal)
- Good attention to detail
- Flexible to deal with varying workload
- Able to demonstrate a desire to pursue a career in buildings and sustainability
Our Graduate Development Programme (GDP) along with our huge scope of projects across the globe will challenge and inspire you to make a real difference to the world we live in. Our programmes form a core part of our business strategy globally, designed to develop the best talent across numerous disciplines to lead our business into the future. We have over 1,000 graduates on our programmes across the UK & Europe, from over 30 different disciplines, each and every one of them making a tangible difference to the environment we all live & work in. We will provide you with all the tools and support you need to achieve your professional development ambitions, including chartership with the relevant international professional institution –we have graduates working towards accreditation with over 30 professional institutions in the UK. We demand the highest standards and expect our graduates to pass their professional review first time. You will be assigned a mentor to support & guide your development, and undertake regular training modules throughout the programme. There will be on-the-job and classroom training where required, and the opportunity to work on live client projects, with significant multi-disciplinary exposure.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!