Graduate Geotechnical Engineer - Ground Engineering
JOB SUMMARY AECOM is built to deliver a better world. We design, build, finance and operate infrastructure assets for governments, businesses and organizations in more than 150 countries. As a fully integrated firm, we connect knowledge and experience across our global network of experts to help clients solve their most complex challenges. From high-performance buildings and infrastructure, to resilient communities and environments, to stable and secure nations, our work is transformative, differentiated and vital. A Fortune 500 firm, see how we deliver what others can only imagine at aecom.com and @AECOM. AECOM has Geotechncial teams in a number of its offices across the UK. These teams handle a wide variety of projects based both in the UK and overseas. Some of this work is carried out directly for clients whilst other work is carried out for internal clients, usually as part of larger overall commissions. Typical recent/current projects include: • Jeddah Stormwater Drainage programme in Saudi Arabia, which involved a major ground investigation and design of 15 new embankment dams;
- Porto Novi - a major maritime/leisure development in a seismically active area;
- High Speed 2 – Phase 2;
- A14 Cambridge to Huntingdon.
- Jazan, Saudi Arabia - a major port and economic city development in a seismically active area;
- Scottish Water - Shieldhall Tunnel: New 5.0km long, 4.0m diameter tunnel. Works include tunnel lining design, access shafts, open cut sections and treatment by drilling and grouting of shallow mining and mine shafts.
- A1 Leeming to Barton: Upgrading existing highway to motorway standard – including a new alignment and widening
- We are also working on the Wallasea Wild Coast project which was shortlisted for the GE Awards Sustainability Award.
Geotechnical engineering graduates at AECOM will work on a range of projects, involving work such as:
- Desk study research
- Geological interpretation and preparation of desk study reports
- Contribute to the planning and procurement of ground investigations
- Supervise site works
- Analysis of geotechnical data and contribute to preparation of geotechnical interpretative and design reports covering key areas such as foundations, retaining walls, slope stability, earthworks and relevant H&S regulations.
- AECOM has current 3D and 2D numerical analysis software, candidates with an interest in this will have the opportunity to develop skills in this area.
- A degree in Civil Engineering or Engineering Geology
- An MSc/ MEng in Soil Mechanics, Geotechnical Engineering, Foundation Engineering or Engineering Geology would be an advantage
- Competent in the use of Microsoft Office is essential, and competent use of ACAD/ Civil 3D software is desirable.
- Candidates with Geotechnical work experience would be preferred although this is not essential.
When a graduate starts with us we pair them with an experienced member of the team who will guide and mentor them through their initial period working on live projects. Their initial role will support and assist with the completion of design tasks. Our Graduate Development Programmes (GDP) within AECOM, along with our huge scope of projects across the globe, will challenge and inspire you to make a real difference to the world we live in. Our programmes form a core part of our business strategy globally, designed to develop the best talent across numerous disciplines to lead our business into the future. We have over 1,000 graduates on our programmes across the UK & Europe, from over 30 different disciplines, each and every one of them making a tangible difference to the environment we all live & work in. We will provide you with all the tools and support you need to achieve your professional development ambitions, including chartership with the relevant international professional institution – where we have graduates working towards over 30 professional institutions in the UK. We demand the highest standards and expect our graduates to pass their professional review first time. You will be assigned a mentor to support & guide your development, and undertake regular training modules throughout the programme. There will be on-the-job and classroom training where required, and the opportunity to work on live client projects, with significant multi-disciplinary exposure. In the Geotechnical Group, specialist courses are made available in the following subjects:
- Introduction to geosynthetics
- Design of slopes
- Earthworks – fill suitability assessment
- Ground improvement compaction and densification
- Design using Eurocodes
- Design of spread foundations
- Design of piles
- Design of retaining walls
- Reinforced soil designs using BS8006:2010 Additional lecture programmes and presentations cover:
- Structural concrete design
- Design of steelwork
- Use of contracts
- In–house project management
- AECOM accounting procedures
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!