Ecology Graduate - Environment
AECOM is built to deliver a better world. We design, build, finance and operate infrastructure assets for governments, businesses and organizations in more than 150 countries. As a fully integrated firm, we connect knowledge and experience across our global network of experts to help clients solve their most complex challenges. From high-performance buildings and infrastructure, to resilient communities and environments, to stable and secure nations, our work is transformative, differentiated and vital. A Fortune 500 firm, see how we deliver what others can only imagine at aecom.com and @AECOM. AECOM is one of the leading environmental consultancies in the UK&I with over 100 professional ecologists supporting AECOM’s goal to deliver a better world, though effective management of the biodiversity which underpins natural capital. We are looking to grow our team in several locations. We have opportunities for graduate ecologists to join AECOM, experience the exciting breadth of work we are involved in and contribute to the success of our team. We work across terrestrial, freshwater and marine environments in a wide range of sectors; Power, Utilities, Development, Government, Manufacturing, Oil and Gas and Transportation. The majority of our work is based in UK and Ireland, and there may also be international opportunities overseas including Europe, Middle East and Africa. Our ecologists work with architects, engineers, planners, economists and other environmental specialists on important projects providing the full range of ecological services including habitat and species surveys, impact assessment, advice on biodiversity mitigation, offsetting and enhancement, and management planning for biodiversity. Graduates joining AECOM are provided with mentorship and training in technical skills, safety, project management and business systems, and benefit from a structured graduate development programme to support you and to help realise your potential as an ecologist on some of the most significant projects in the UK and overseas.
Our ecology opportunities have evolved due to an increase in workload and will provide exposure to projects across various sectors including government, energy, and transportation projects. When a graduate starts with us we pair them with an experienced member of the team who will guide and mentor them through their initial period working on live projects. Their initial role will support and assist with the completion of design tasks. The successful candidates will work within a multi-disciplinary team on field surveys including Preliminary Ecological Appraisal, Phase 1 habitat surveys, other botanical surveys, ecological impact assessment and a range of protected species surveys. An ability to work with a range of taxonomic 2 groups will be required, though a specialism in a particular taxonomic group would be welcomed and the successful candidate will be encouraged to pursue their own particular interests within the ecology team. A good understanding of UK wildlife and the UK regulatory system(s) in respect of wildlife is essential. The successful candidate will be expected to take part in a variety of field work, particularly during the busy field season in the UK. From time to time, the fieldwork is likely to require working away from home and also some working at night when undertaking surveys. In addition to field skills, good organisation and planning skills are also required to support a team which works safely and to a high technical standard. The candidate will have excellent verbal and written communication skills and able to analyse and describe biological data and produce high quality written reports. This is a fantastic opportunity to further your career, gaining valuable work experience, within an established and successful consultancy.
- A graduate with an Ecology degree, or a related subject with ecological component
- Degree classification 2:1 or equivalent or above
- Excellent field skills and a keen interest and understanding of UK wildlife
- UK plant and animal (indirect and direct field signs) identification
- Good knowledge of all UK environmental law and a understanding of the relevant planning systems
- Previous exposure to protected species surveys
- Previous work experience in the ecology sector for example with an NGO as a volunteer or within a professional consultancy
- Ability to record data efficiently and methodically
- Excellent communication and report writing skills with computer skills in MSWord, MS Excel
- A hard working and highly motivated individual
- Client focused with good interpersonal skills and team approach
- Willing and able to visit other locations on company business (if necessary)
- Able to demonstrate a commitment to continued education and improvement through participating in our approved training schemes
- Full UK Driving Licence Desirable
- A protected species licence, such as bats / great crested newts / hazel dormouse
- A postgraduate qualification in a relevant subject
- Proven experience of Phase 1 habitat, NVC and botanical surveys
- Membership of or working towards full membership of an appropriate professional institution
- Able to provide evidence of published work in the ecology field
Our Graduate Development Programme (GDP) along with our huge scope of projects across the globe, will challenge and inspire you to make a real difference to the world we live in. Our programmes form a core part of our business strategy globally, designed to develop the best talent across numerous disciplines to lead our business into the future. We have over 1,000 graduates on our programmes across the UK & Europe, from over 30 different disciplines, each and every one of them making a tangible difference to the environment we all live & work in. 3 We will provide you with all the tools and support you need to achieve your professional development ambitions, including chartership with the relevant international professional institution – where we have graduates working towards over 30 professional institutions in the UK. We demand the highest standards and expect our graduates to pass their professional review first time. You will be assigned a mentor to support & guide your development, and undertake regular training modules throughout the programme. There will be on-the-job and classroom training where required, and the opportunity to work on live client projects, with significant multi-disciplinary exposure.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!