Environmental and Social Impact Assessment Graduate Consultant (International Development Focus) - Environment and Ground Engineering
AECOM is built to deliver a better world. We design, build, finance and operate infrastructure assets for governments, businesses and organizations in more than 150 countries. As a fully integrated firm, we connect knowledge and experience across our global network of experts to help clients solve their most complex challenges. From high-performance buildings and infrastructure, to resilient communities and environments, to stable and secure nations, our work is transformative, differentiated and vital. A Fortune 500 firm, see how we deliver what others can only imagine at aecom.com and @AECOM. Our Environment business line's talented environmental professionals provide environmental solutions for private and public clients around the world. We are motivated by making the world a better place. Becoming part of our global team, you will be part of growing our business. The role would ideally suit someone who is a recent graduate who has gained some international development experience (i.e. a relevant Master’s degree or up to two years’ experience) and who is willing to learn and develop, taking on more responsibility as the team matures. The role would entail joining our Environment & Planning team, which comprises approximately 200 specialists preparing UK Environmental Impact Assessment and International Environmental and Social Impact Assessments (ESIA), with a particular focus on the latter. Our team of ESIA specialists delivers a range of exciting and varied projects across the Europe, Middle East, India and Africa region. We work in dynamic and challenging environments, in multi-disciplinary teams delivering solutions to a broad base of client sectors. They range from onshore and offshore oil and gas, marine and coastal projects, conventional and renewable power projects, and transport infrastructure. This graduate level position will report to a Senior or Principal Consultant and will be expected to work on a range of projects; handling and being accountable for a number of tasks simultaneously. The role will require technical ESIA knowledge, excellent team working and communication skills and the ability to manage deadlines.
When a graduate starts with AECOM we pair them with a senior member of the team who will guide and mentor them through their initial period working on live projects and business development proposals. Their initial role will support and assist with the completion of design and assessment tasks. Responsibilities will include:
- To support Project Managers/Project Directors in the delivery of ESIA projects
- Production of ESIA programmes, briefing notes and other AECOM project management tools
- To analyse data effectively and carry out desk based studies and site visits when required
- Assist with other specialist surveys, such as air quality, noise and ecology baseline surveys when required
- Conduct desk-based (or in-country research) to learn more about our competitors, the client’s priorities and state of the sector in a specific country or region
- To assist in the delivery of project documents including Scoping Reports, ESIA Reports and related technical studies to the highest standard in accordance with project timescales.
- Production and editing of ESIA Chapters and Non-Technical Summaries
- To interact with the team and Project Managers/Project Directors to ensure the smooth running of projects
- To participate in team meetings, client briefs and other meetings as and when required
- To prioritise project actions and meet commitments on an on-going basis while taking ownership and responsibility for the quality and completion of work
- To assist the Project Manager/Project Director in the coordination and management of sub consultants and multi-disciplinary teams
- To research technical issues as part of the ESIA process and to provide ideas and potential solutions to the ESIA team to improve project performance
- To understand and implement project management principles and appreciate the need to work within project budgets
- To understand and implement the AECOM Integrated Management System
- To keep up to date with relevant environmental legislation/policy/guidance
- To ensure health and safety issues are addressed throughout a project
- To provide input to business development proposals (expression of interest and tender responses) and to continuously improve our service offering for our clients.
This is a fantastic opportunity to establish and further your career, gaining valuable work experience, within the largest Environmental consultancy in the UK and Ireland working on some of the most challenging and high profile projects our clients are developing.
The ideal candidate would have an ESIA and environmental management/planning background with an interest in international development or industrial relations and an international focus – the desire to work on ESIAs in international markets, including predominantly Africa. The work will largely be undertaken remotely, based in one of our UK offices, with occasional short term site visits if required to deliver a project scope.
- Awareness of ESIA as a technical specialism, including knowledge of international good practice guidance.
- Self-motivation, enthusiasm and excellent research skills.
- Ability to work as part of a team, collaborating with colleagues, client and stakeholders as appropriate.
- Ability to work flexibly under pressure, responding to changing project and programme demands.
- Strong numeracy, written and verbal communication skills and the aptitude to rationally explain, explore and discuss environmental issues and capture feedback.
- Strong skills in Microsoft Office.
- Strong organisational skills and attention to detail.
- A foreign language would be beneficial, but not essential
- Full Clean Driving licence beneficial.
- Basic experience of ESIA, EIA and other impact assessment techniques would be advantageous.
- Previous experience of working in a consultancy environment would be beneficial, including work placements or relevant voluntary experience.
- Awareness of Geographic Information System (GIS) skills would be advantageous.
- Ideally an MSc in International Development/ Sustainable Development, ESIA/EIA and environmental management.
- A good first degree in Geography and Environment; Sociology; Anthropology; Politics and International Relations; Economics first degree in environmental sciences, natural sciences or environmental planning
- Affiliate, Graduate or Associate membership of IEMA or an equivalent professional organisation would be beneficial.
Our Graduate Development Programme (GDP) along with our huge scope of projects across the globe, will challenge and inspire you to make a real difference to the world we live in. Our programmes form a core part of our business strategy globally, designed to develop the best talent across numerous disciplines to lead our business into the future. We have over 1,000 graduates on our programmes across the UK & Europe, from over 30 different disciplines, each and every one of them making a tangible difference to the environment we all live & work in. We will provide you with all the tools and support you need to achieve your professional development ambitions, including chartership with the relevant international professional institution – where we have graduates working towards over 30 professional institutions in the UK. We demand the highest standards and expect our graduates to pass their professional review first time. You will be assigned a mentor to support & guide your development, and undertake regular training modules throughout the programme. There will be on-the-job and classroom training where required, and the opportunity to work on live client projects, with significant multi-disciplinary exposure. As part of the GDP we will expect our ESIA graduates to work in other AECOM sustainability and environmental teams on a rotational basis including our policy and appraisal, business sustainability and environmental technical disciplines teams.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!