Geo-environmental Site Technician - Remediation - EHS & Remediation Services
AECOM is built to deliver a better world. We design, build, finance and operate infrastructure assets for governments, businesses and organizations in more than 150 countries. As a fully integrated firm, we connect knowledge and experience across our global network of experts to help clients solve their most complex challenges. From high-performance buildings and infrastructure, to resilient communities and environments, to stable and secure nations, our work is transformative, differentiated and vital. A Fortune 500 firm, see how we deliver what others can only imagine at aecom.com and @AECOM. Our Remediation team is looking for an enthusiastic Geoenvironmental Site Technician. As an integral member of the EHS & Remediation Services team, you will have the opportunity to work on a wide range of contaminated land assessments. You will provide support in the delivery of services to private and public sector clients including multinational industrials, the nuclear industry, financial services, local authorities and other government agencies in addition to other AECOM internal teams across the business in the delivery of multi-discipline design, build and construction schemes. Nationally our Remediation Services team is one of the largest in the UK and provides one-stop access to a variety of services. The Manchester office has an established track record of successfully delivering land contamination assessments and remediation works throughout the country. We are now looking to enhance and grow this team with individuals with experience in land contamination site investigation and assessment that share our enthusiasm and determination to support our expanding workload. The team provides services ranging from desk studies, site investigation, risk assessment, remediation (strategy development, design, implementation, supervision and validation), monitoring and close-out on a wide range of contracts. We also support other AECOM business lines where their projects have a Remediation Services interface. Our Local Remediation Services team is involved in a number of high profile projects with a variety of clients across a broad range of sectors. Our clients are from the private and public sector and our leading clients include global oil & gas companies, the nuclear industry, Fortune 500 multinational corporations, regulatory bodies and agencies (e.g. Environment Agency, HCA and local authorities).
To work within the team as a geo-environmental site technician on contaminated land investigation and remediation projects. The appointed person will ideally have prior experience in field sampling (gas/ vapour/ groundwater/ surface water), soil logging in accordance with Eurocode 7 and BS5930:2015, 2 and managing subcontractors (e.g. drilling, service clearance, topographic surveyors). The candidate will be expected to travel and work away from home from time to time and must also be prepared to spend time in the office. Further responsibilities include:
- Ensure that health and safety issues are addressed throughout the life of a project
- Work in a professional manner
- Make the necessary arrangements prior to fieldwork assignments e.g. ordering equipment, PPE and field suppliers, and to help prepare health and safety plans
- Coordinate subcontractors and supervise ground investigation works including service clearance, drilling and trial pitting activities
- Collect gas/vapour, soil and groundwater samples/data during site investigation and remedial action activities at various sites in the UK
- Coordinate with laboratories to secure appropriate analysis and in a timetable consistent with project requirements
- Complete borehole logs for utilisation in site review and reporting
- Assist in the compilation of field and analytical data and assist in the development of conceptual site models
- Undertake desk studies and contribute to the preparation of technical content for reports
- Be responsible for the care and maintenance of monitoring equipment and field instruments used by the Manchester Remediation Service team
- Learn and adhere to AECOM’s field protocols and quality management system.
Relevant work or voluntary experience is essential. We are particularly looking for candidates with the following knowledge and skills:
- Basic understanding of contaminated land assessment and experience in collecting ground gas, soil vapour, soil and groundwater data and samples,
- Experience in supervising intrusive ground investigations e.g. service clearance, drilling, trial pitting.
- Working knowledge of MS Office applications.
- A safety- and quality- oriented approach
- Ability to give and take instruction
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (in English)
- Good time management
- Self-starter, develops and delivers work under own initiative
- Solid attention to detail and thorough approach to work
- Willingness and ability to learn new tasks
- Ability to perform well in a team environment
- Flexible and hard working.
- Minimum six months field investigation experience undertaking environmental site investigation including geo-environmental exploratory investigation & management of subcontractors
- Able to independently collect ground gas, soil vapour, and groundwater samples (including insitu data recording) and complete accurate site records
- Use of field monitoring equipment e.g. PIDs, LEL detectors, ground gas meters, groundwater sampling pumps, pressure transducers etc
- Experience of working in a corporate environment (within or outside of environmental consultancy)
- Experience of working on petroleum sites an advantage.
- HND, HNC, NVQ, undergraduate degree (Geology /Hydrogeology /Contaminated Land /Environmental Engineering /Environmental Science) or similar in environmental monitoring/ management
- Full Driving Licence essential
- CSCS card
- Emergency first aider
- PIA training
- CITB SMSTS /SSSTS
- SPA/ UK PIA
AECOM invest heavily in the quality of our technicians and the development opportunities provided enabling learning from some of the most talented and renowned experts in their field whilst bringing fresh approaches and further diversifying our workforce. AECOM provides the opportunity to develop professionally whilst working within a positive environment, where learning and development is actively promoted and supported.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!