Graduate Economic Development Consultant - AECOM Economics’ part of the Design, Planning & Economics group
The Economic Development and Regeneration team in Manchester is looking to recruit an Graduate Economics Development Consultant. You will have an analytical mind, be flexible and organised to work on a wide range of projects at once. You should have an interest in a broad range of work in economic development and regeneration, research and quantitative and qualitative analysis. The work of the Economic Development and Regeneration team is extremely varied and includes: socio-economic research and impact assessments; evaluations of, and strategic advice for, economic development projects or services; sector studies; feasibility studies; cost-benefit analysis; and business case development/economic appraisal. Recent and current projects include: Development of Welsh Government’s Nuclear programme Strategic economic analysis for Crossrail 2; Business case support for Local Enterprise Partnerships and other bodies nationally; Socio-economic impact assessment of residential, commercial, industrial and mixed use schemes across the UK; Evaluation of the Emirates Air Line cable car transit scheme; and High Speed 2 Phase 1 socio-economic and community impact analysis; AECOM is built to deliver a better world. We design, build, finance and operate infrastructure assets for governments, businesses and organizations in more than 150 countries. As a fully integrated firm, we connect knowledge and experience across our global network of experts to help clients solve their most complex challenges. From high-performance buildings and infrastructure, to resilient communities and environments, to stable and secure nations, our work is transformative, differentiated and vital. A Fortune 500 firm, see how we deliver what others can only imagine at aecom.com and @AECOM.
This is an entry level position for a University Graduate or a recent graduate with up to 2 years of experience. He or she will be highly numerate, comfortable with quantitative data and analysis and will be responsible for the basic core research of the project. This can involve conducting internet or desk research, gathering information through phone or face to face interviews and site visits, or generating demographic information. The consultant is responsible for making the information comprehensible and for providing a base analysis for its meanings and implications. The role involves:
- Data collection, primary research, literature reviews and undertaking consultation with a range of stakeholders utilising a range of methods (e.g. telephone, face-to-face and electronic)
- Delivery of high-quality quantitative and qualitative analysis and research across a number of short and longer term projects
- Interpretation of technical information/analysis in a clear, concise and credible manner, inputting into reports and proposals
- Helping to identify project opportunities for the team
- Supports in the creation of presentations for clients and internal presentations
- Providing a range of other ad hoc advice and support for the team, such as proposals and marketing input.
The graduate will work as part of a team under the direction of associates and project managers working on projects throughout the UK and Ireland They will be paired with an experienced member of the team who will guide and mentor them through their initial period working on live projects.
The ideal graduate should meet the following requirements:
- Hold a 2.1 or First Class honours degree in Real Estate, Economics, Geography, Planning, Accountancy, Financial management Hospitality or Leisure & Tourism Management or other relevant degree
- Highly numerate
- An interest in businesses and the economy
- Computer proficiency in spreadsheets, word processing, and presentation software
- Strong interpersonal skills, charm and maturity to conduct face to face and telephone interviews
- Holds an understanding of modelling techniques and the ability to apply them to research and analysis/comfortable in dealing with quantitative data and analysis
- Writing ability that is coherent, grammatically correct, analytical, and professional
- Listens to others and accepts input from team members
- Possess a strong aptitude for working as part of a team;
- Displays a positive attitude
- Highly motivated and proactive
- Flexible in work approach and willing to travel to other offices when required
- Effective time management and ability to multi-task
- Able to demonstrate a commitment to continued education and improvement through participating in our approved training schemes
- Although not essential it would be beneficial if you have experience and/or interest in GIS, research or design (e.g. survey and sample design).
- Holding a Master’s degree or other Post-graduate qualification in relevant disciplines would be an advantage.
AECOM understands that managing your career is a powerful factor impacting employee satisfaction, productivity and performance. As a new starter at AECOM, you will be encouraged to participate in continuing professional development activities, including through AECOM’S dedicated ‘University’ suite of courses, and to enrol in the AECOM Graduate Development Programme. Our Graduate Development Programme (GDP) along with our wide range of projects, will challenge and inspire you to make a real difference to the world we live in. Our programmes form a core part of our business strategy globally, designed to develop the best talent across numerous disciplines to lead our business into the future. We have over 1,000 graduates on our programmes across the UK & Europe, from over 30 different disciplines, each and every one of them making a tangible difference to the environment we all live & work in. We will provide you with all the tools and support you need to achieve your professional development ambitions, including chartership with the relevant international professional institution – where we have graduates working towards over 30 professional institutions in the UK. We demand the highest standards and expect our graduates to pass their professional review first time. You will be assigned a mentor to support & guide your development, and undertake regular training modules throughout the programme. There will be on-the-job and classroom training where required, and the opportunity to work on live client projects, with significant multi-disciplinary exposure.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!