Graduate Town Planner (Environment) - Buildings and Places - Design, Planning and Economics
AECOM is built to deliver a better world. We design, build, finance and operate infrastructure assets for governments, businesses and organizations in more than 150 countries. As a fully integrated firm, we connect knowledge and experience across our global network of experts to help clients solve their most complex challenges. From high-performance buildings and infrastructure, to resilient communities and environments, to stable and secure nations, our work is transformative, differentiated and vital. A Fortune 500 firm, see how we deliver what others can only imagine at aecom.com and @AECOM. AECOM are looking for an exceptional graduate planner to join our busy studio. We enjoy what we do at AECOM. We bring projects to life in the cities and communities in which we work, and we’re driven by a set of values and a common purpose — to create, enhance and sustain the world’s built, natural and social environments. Innovation is built into every project we manage and every community we serve. We’ll provide you support in an environment that allows you to grow and succeed. As a graduate in our Planning team, you will have the opportunity to work on a wide range of project types from feasibility work through to the regeneration strategies. The scope will include preparation of planning applications, undertaking site visits and report writing and working collaboratively across our network of offices. We enjoy an exceptional team approach working closely with architects, engineers, ecologists, economists and other related professionals to develop award winning integrated projects. Our local practice network leverages AECOM’s global presence to address urban and rural planning problems and to serve as catalysts for regeneration. Our team of planners delivers a range of exciting and varied projects across the Europe, Middle East and Africa region. We work in dynamic and challenging environments, in multi-disciplinary teams delivering solutions to a broad base of client sectors including development, energy, oil and gas, water, government and transportation. We are looking for creative and highly motivated team players that have the ability to assist other members of the Planning team who would like the fantastic opportunity to further their career, gaining valuable experience to be part of exciting projects on a local and national level within an established consultancy.
When a graduate starts with us we pair them with an experienced member of the team who will guide 2 and mentor them through their initial period working on live projects. Their initial role will support and assist with the completion of tasks such as:
- Input into the production of planning applications
- Production of feasibility and appraisal reports
- Assistance towards the coordination of multi-disciplinary project teams
- Field visits and surveys
- Research and analysis
- Community and stakeholder consultation
- Any other planning task as required.
- A graduate with a Masters degree or higher from a Planning or Planning related discipline
- Planning work experience beyond academic study (minimum 3 months achieved either during studies, industrial placement, vacation or voluntary work or since)
- Demonstrate excellent levels of written, visual and verbal presentation skills
- Ability to interpret construction/design plans and drawings and understand how these manifest physically
- Able to work on own initiative or within a team within a sometimes pressurised environment
- Competent in the use of Microsoft Office including Excel, PowerPoint, Word and Outlook
- Sound knowledge of Northern Ireland Planning policy and legislation
- Interest in all aspects of Planning
- Ability to deliver Planning solutions, and successfully manage time to meet project deadlines
- A hard working and highly motivated individual with excellent communication, presentation and report writing skills
- Ability to fit within an existing team
- Client focused with good interpersonal skills and team approach with a high level of commitment towards the job
- Full current driving licence and/or access to a form of transport to travel to various sites to carry out the duties of the post.
- Computer skills – Adobe Suite and GIS
- Knowledge of a Planning System in ROI
- Evidence of awards or special academic recognition
- Student or Licentiate member of the Royal Town Planning Institute, Irish Planning Institute or equivalent.
Our Graduate Development Programme (GDP) along with our huge scope of projects across the globe, will challenge and inspire you to make a real difference to the world we live in. Our programmes form a core part of our business strategy globally, designed to develop the best talent across numerous 3 disciplines to lead our business into the future. We have over 1,000 graduates on our programmes across the UK & Europe, from over 30 different disciplines, each and every one of them making a tangible difference to the environment we all live & work in. We will provide you with all the tools and support you need to achieve your professional development ambitions, including chartership with the relevant international professional institution – where we have graduates working towards over 30 professional institutions in the UK. We demand the highest standards and expect our graduates to pass their professional review first time. You will be assigned a mentor to support & guide your development, and undertake regular training modules throughout the programme. There will be on-the-job and classroom training where required, and the opportunity to work on live client projects, with significant multi-disciplinary exposure.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!