Engineering Internship - Avionics
Airbus Group is a global leader in aeronautics, space and related services. In 2015, the Group - comprising Airbus, Airbus Defence and Space and Airbus Helicopters - generated revenues of € 64.5 billion and employed a workforce of around 136,600.
Our people work with passion and determination to make the world a more connected, safer and smarter place. Taking pride in our work, we draw on each other's expertise and experience to achieve excellence. Our diversity and teamwork culture propel us to accomplish the extraordinary - on the ground, in the sky and in space.
Description of the job
Start Date: 3rd July 2017
Duration: 12 Months
The Engineering group for avionics platforms in the UK is in charge of developing, testing and integrating Integrated Modular Avionics (IMA) electronic articles for A380, A400M and A350 programs.
The internship fits into the Common Remote Data Concentrator (CRDC) work package (WP) that is in charge of the management of the external supplier, which produces the CRDC equipment.
This team, as part of the design office, is accountable for the specification of the CRDC equipment in compliance with higher-level aircraft specifications and architecture, and the actual deliveries of the hardware and software to the A350 Final
Assembly Line (FAL).
The CRDC is a complex avionics modular electronic component combining hardware (HW), software (Operating system or Core Software - CSW) and configuration software tooling development. It provides, through these shared electronics platforms, segregated computation resources and a gateway to electronics bay to a very large number of systems over the whole aircraft as it is installed all along the pressurised fuselage.
The CRDC team's main internal Airbus stakeholder is the A350XWB program and all its operational teams based in Toulouse: Test department, Validation & Verification (V&V) manager, Quality, FAL, Mise Au Point (MAP who ensure liaison between design office and flight-test), Logistics, Airline liaison and the program management itself. The CRDC team is also in contact with its counterparts within the IMA department either developing other IMA modules or integrating the whole IMA architecture on the aircraft, whose staff is located in both Toulouse and Hamburg. Finally the CRDC team is the only official point of contact within Airbus for the CRDC external supplier's design office and internal program management teams.
The internship will primarily focus on the project management and technical activities part of the external suppliers delivery follow-up, and part of the accountabilities of the team towards the several internal stakeholders. This will include:
- Planning, tracking and closing actions and deliveries of the CRDC WP team
- Managing the communication towards the external supplier as well as towards the Airbus internal stakeholders
- Preparation and attendance to synchronisation and technical meetings with the external supplier and internal Airbus stakeholders
- Planning, preparing and attending the main acceptance reviews with the supplier
- You will also be in charge of the documentation management (referencing, storing, archiving) as a focal point for the whole group, to enable this task to be centralised.
Besides enabling a thorough understanding of the verification associated to the integration of the CRDC on aircraft, the internship will also allow opportunities for:
- Involvement in technical developments for test means maintenance and implementation of new concepts
- Integration testing of CRDC and CPIOM (IMA modules) configuration SW loads
- Ad hoc testing in support of IMA user's system for specific and targeted test objectives
Lastly, opportunities for involvement in Research and Technology (R&T) projects involving the IMA team could be discussed during the duration of the placement.
You must be an undergraduate for the full duration of the internship studying towards a degree in one of the following areas:
- Aeronautics, Aerospace or Avionics Engineering
- Electronics, Physics and Computer science degrees will also be considered.
In addition to the above, you will also have the following skills:
- The ability to work in a team, and experience of working with customers
- Strong communication skills
- Good organisational skills
- An understanding of electronics, control systems, avionics architecture and embedded computers
- An understanding of Requirement-Based Engineering
- An understanding of Project Management principles and good practices
Other beneficial skills include:
- Electronics and real-time systems modules as part of your degree
- An understanding of aircraft architecture, aircraft systems and avionics architecture
- Language skills such as French or German (although not essential)
- MS Office IT skills, as well as basic software programming skills (C, Visual Basic, Object-oriented techniques), will be beneficial
Please let us know if you need us to make any adjustments to allow you to access and participate fully in the Assessment Centre. Examples of this may include (but is not exclusive to) accessible facilities; additional time for written exercises; auxiliary aids; room layout; dietary requirements etc. If you wish to discuss this further please contact via email. Any information disclosed will be treated in the strictest confidence.
Airbus Group is committed to achieving workforce diversity and creating an inclusive working environment. We welcome all applications irrespective of social and cultural background, age, gender, disability, sexual orientation or religious belief.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!