Graduate Space Systems Engineer (Hawthorn
Description of the job
Our UK Graduate Programme provides exceptional graduates the opportunity to master managerial and technical skills. Over the two year period it combines rotational placements with focused training and the possibility of European assignments as well as further personal development and the chance to build your professional network.
From day one, you will be assigned to a particular department and will be guided through the various placement opportunities that exist within your function, the wider business and even with customers and suppliers. This, along with training provided works to ensure you are ready and experienced enough to take the next step of your career following the programme's conclusion.
The role of Graduate Space Systems Engineer is based in the Secure Communications Space & Engineering organisation within the Airbus Defence & Space Communications, Intelligence & Security (CIS) business line.
The Space & Engineering organisation is responsible for the design, implementation and ongoing development of the network infrastructure that delivers satcom-enabled services to our customers in government-related sectors. Its responsibilities include management and operation of the associated company-owned spacecraft. The Space Directorate is involved in a wide range of activities offering opportunities to gain experience in Spacecraft Engineering, Ground Engineering, Spacecraft Operations, Spacecraft Management, Flight Dynamics and Space Situational Awareness.
In this role you will work in a range of Spacecraft Operations and Engineering and Ground Engineering functions in support of the SKYNET spacecraft programme. Main activities will include:
- Spacecraft engineering tasks looking at optimising in-orbit performance.
- A placement in Flight Dynamics, which will involve calculating orbits and astronomic conjunctions and the impact on spacecraft operations.
- Contributing to analysis and development strategies for the introduction of new equipment and services.
The following are representative examples of projects you could get involved in:
- UHF sub-system analysis and operational optimisation selection
- Telemetry analysis using specifically-designed software
- Operations assessment
- Recovery procedure validation
This role will be based at Hawthorn (Corsham) and will receive the full Airbus Defence & Space Graduate programme benefit package including an annual Salary of £26,000, plus a welcome payment of £2,000.
Successful candidates will be able to demonstrate the following:
- At minimum, a 2:1 degree or equivalent qualification in Space Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, Computer Science or related subject.
- An interest in the practical application of science and space.
- Use of a high-level programming language.
- Able to work on own initiative and as part of a collaborative team.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- A logical approach to problem solving and a capability for critical thinking.
The successful candidate will be subject to UK National Security Clearance in order to undertake related work in accordance with business needs.
Please note the closing date for applications to this position is 25th November 2016.
Please let us know if you need us to make any adjustments. Examples of this may include (but is not exclusive to) accessible facilities; additional time for written exercises; auxiliary aids; room layout; dietary requirements etc. If you wish to discuss this further please contact us via email. Any information disclosed will be treated in the strictest confidence.
Airbus Group is committed to achieving workforce diversity and creating an inclusive working environment. We welcome all applications irrespective of social and cultural background, age, gender, disability, sexual orientation or religious belief.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!