Graduate Materials Engineer
Airbus Defence and Space is a division of Airbus Group formed by combining the business activities of Cassidian, Astrium and Airbus Military. The new division is Europe's number one defence and space enterprise, the second largest space business worldwide and among the top ten global defence enterprises. It employs some 40,000 employees generating revenues of approximately €14 billion per year.
Airbus Group is a global leader in aeronautics, space and related services. In 2015, the Group - comprising Airbus, Airbus Defence and Space and Airbus Helicopters - generated revenues of € 64.5 billion and employed a workforce of around 136,600.
Our people work with passion and determination to make the world a more connected, safer and smarter place. Taking pride in our work, we draw on each other's expertise and experience to achieve excellence. Our diversity and teamwork culture propel us to accomplish the extraordinary - on the ground, in the sky and in space.
Description of the job
Our UK Graduate Programme provides exceptional graduates the opportunity to master managerial and technical skills. Over the two year period it combines rotational placements with focused training and the possibility of European assignments as well as further personal development and the chance to build your professional network.
From day one, you will be assigned to a particular department and will be guided through the various placement opportunities that exist within your function, the wider business and even with customers and suppliers. This, along with training provided works to ensure you are ready and experienced enough to take the next step of your career following the programme's conclusion.
The Materials and Processes department is a small group of Material Specialist Engineers providing technical solutions to materials related problems related to the manufacture of flight hardware for satellites. This entails the definition of the qualification of materials for various mission specific requirements. Another important facet of the material engineer's remit is to identify new materials and processes for improved performance for future applications.
The Materials Engineers knowledge of the properties and applications of a wide range of metallic and non-metallic materials space environments (radiation, thermal, vacuum) is routinely sought by both Design and Manufacturing teams. Working within a team or individually, Materials Engineers interface with people at all levels - Shop Floor, Project Teams, through to management and Customers.
Main activities will include:
- Supporting activities in research and development, including writing qualification plans, test plans and reports, along with Identifying and justifying replacement materials due to obsolescence.
- Producing and maintaining Parts, Materials and Process (PMP) documentation and chairing Materials, Processes and Control Boards (MPCBs).
- Spending time in the materials laboratory to gain an understanding of the test and techniques processes for optics, chemistry and mechanical testing.
- These roles will be based in Stevenage or Portsmouth (must be flexible) and will receive the full Airbus Defence & Space
- Graduate programme benefit package including an annual Salary of £26,000, plus a welcome payment of £2,000.
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate the following:
- At minimum, a 2:1 degree or equivalent qualification in Materials Science, Physics, Chemistry or related subject.
- Knowledge of adhesives, metallic, non-metallic, composites and adhesive bonding.
- Ability to analyse and interpret data to draw conclusions and make recommendations.
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Good problem solving skills, including risk analysis.
- Ability to work autonomously and as part of a team.
- Good interpersonal, communication and presentation skills.
The successful candidate will be subject to UK National Security Clearance in order to undertake related work in accordance with business needs.
Please note the closing date for applications to this position is 25th November 2016.
Please let us know if you need us to make any adjustments. Examples of this may include (but is not exclusive to) accessible facilities; additional time for written exercises; auxiliary aids; room layout; dietary requirements etc. If you wish to discuss this further please contact via email firstname.lastname@example.org. Any information disclosed will be treated in the strictest confidence.
Airbus Group is committed to achieving workforce diversity and creating an inclusive working environment. We welcome all applications irrespective of social and cultural background, age, gender, disability, sexual orientation or religious belief.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!