Graduate Mechanical Quality Engineer
Airbus Defence and Space is a division of Airbus Group formed by combining the business activities of Cassidian, Astrium and Airbus Military. The new division is Europe's number one defence and space enterprise, the second largest space business worldwide and among the top ten global defence enterprises. It employs some 40,000 employees generating revenues of approximately €14 billion per year.
Airbus Group is a global leader in aeronautics, space and related services. In 2015, the Group - comprising Airbus, Airbus Defence and Space and Airbus Helicopters - generated revenues of € 64.5 billion and employed a workforce of around 136,600.
Our people work with passion and determination to make the world a more connected, safer and smarter place. Taking pride in our work, we draw on each other's expertise and experience to achieve excellence. Our diversity and teamwork culture propel us to accomplish the extraordinary - on the ground, in the sky and in space.
Description of the job
Our UK Graduate Programme provides exceptional graduates the opportunity to master managerial and technical skills. Over the two year period it combines rotational placements with focused training and the possibility of European assignments as well as further personal development and the chance to build your professional network.
From day one, you will be assigned to a particular department and will be guided through the various placement opportunities that exist within your function, the wider business and even with customers and suppliers. This, along with training provided works to ensure you are ready and experienced enough to take the next step of your career following the programme's conclusion.
The Airbus Defence & Space Mechanical Platform (MPF) Group is responsible for the concept, design, manufacture, test, launch and operation of a set of produces that enable the transfer and subsequent operation of spacecraft and satellites. These products must continue to operate for up to 15 years with full reliability and no servicing. The MPF Group ensures coherence and continual development of advanced mechanical, thermal and propulsion products, aligned with and in co-operation with other satellite system specialists. Once developed the MPF Group is accountable for continued successful application of our products within a 'projects' environment through to 'in-space' operation.
As a Graduate Mechanical Quality Engineer, you will work as part of a team to provide Quality / Product Assurance support to the Eurostar Mechanical Platform and Eurostar Neosat. The team ensure that each MPF product delivered for each application project is fit for purpose and that the level of compliance to internal and external requirements is known, justified and agreed.
Main activities will include
- Ensure adequate work instructions and records are maintained during the design and manufacture of equipment's and propose more efficient methods if identified.
- Ensure adequate qualification evidence exists to justify the materials and processes that will be used in the proposed satellite environment.
- Produce and agree an MIP plan with customers and suppliers to ensure all contractual customer inspections are accounted for.
- Chair project reviews and provide support for any post-delivery issues.
- Collect and record all lesson learnt which are raised during the life of the product and input into the MPF improvements
This role will provide the opportunity to develop your technical knowledge and gain exposure to the full-lifecycle of a spacecraft / satellite.
This role will be based in Stevenage and will receive the full Airbus Defence & Space Graduate programme benefit package, including an annual Salary of £26,000, plus a welcome payment of £2,000.
Successful candidates will be able to demonstrate the following:
- At minimum, a 2:1 degree or equivalent qualification in Aerospace Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or related subject.
- An Interest in working in the space industry.
- Good communication and presentation skills.
- Able to work on own initiative and as part of a team.
- Able to analyse and interpret data, draw conclusions and make recommendations.
- The successful candidate will be subject to UK National Security Clearance in order to undertake related work in accordance with business needs.
Please note the closing date for applications to this position is 25th November 2016.
Please let us know if you need us to make any adjustments. Examples of this may include (but is not exclusive to) accessible facilities; additional time for written exercises; auxiliary aids; room layout; dietary requirements etc. If you wish to discuss this further please contact via email. Any information disclosed will be treated in the strictest confidence.
Airbus Group is committed to achieving workforce diversity and creating an inclusive working environment. We welcome all applications irrespective of social and cultural background, age, gender, disability, sexual orientation or religious belief.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!