Graduate Mechanical / Stress Analysis Engineer
Airbus Defence and Space is a division of Airbus Group formed by combining the business activities of Cassidian, Astrium and Airbus Military. The new division is Europe's number one defence and space enterprise, the second largest space business worldwide and among the top ten global defence enterprises. It employs some 40,000 employees generating revenues of approximately €14 billion per year.
Airbus Group is a global leader in aeronautics, space and related services. In 2015, the Group - comprising Airbus, Airbus Defence and Space and Airbus Helicopters - generated revenues of € 64.5 billion and employed a workforce of around 136,600.
Our people work with passion and determination to make the world a more connected, safer and smarter place. Taking pride in our work, we draw on each other's expertise and experience to achieve excellence. Our diversity and teamwork culture propel us to accomplish the extraordinary - on the ground, in the sky and in space.
Description of the job
Our UK Graduate Programme provides exceptional graduates the opportunity to master managerial and technical skills. Over the two year period it combines rotational placements with focused training and the possibility of European assignments as well as further personal development and the chance to build your professional network.
From day one, you will be assigned to a particular department and will be guided through the various placement opportunities that exist within your function, the wider business and even with customers and suppliers. This, along with training provided works to ensure you are ready and experienced enough to take the next step of your career following the programme's conclusion.
As a graduate engineer based in the department of mechanical analysis, working in mechanical stress and dynamic analysis teams or on placement with department internal customers and key stakeholders, you shall be contributing to the success of a wide variety of space missions, that range from the highly scientific space exploration of other planets in the form of the ESA EXOMARS Mars Rover mission, to the intensely competitive provision of global telecommunications via the Airbus Defence and Space EUROSTAR 3000 and 3000neo family of spacecraft.
With space hardware design, manufacture and test all covered by the scope of operations on the Stevenage site and so accessible to witness, support and contribute to, developed shall be a wide variety of technical skills in mechanical, aerospace and structures engineering with reference to your domain of analysis, and non-technical skills that relate to your responsibilities to communicate and deliver your activities to set technical and operational objectives.
Main activities will include:
- In a systems, hardware or components environment, understand the detailed principles of mechanical and stress analysis and more broadly of wider design, manufacture and test.
- Learn the discipline of predominately mechanical analysis, but also according to placements undertaken the influence to and from internal customers and stakeholders.
- Understand the performance of designed, manufactured and tested hardware through activities including mechanical test prediction, preparation, support and assessment.
- Authoring technical documents in particular reports recording and driving the design, development and verification, over the whole or parts of the product lifecycle.
- These roles will be based in Stevenage and will receive the full Airbus Defence & Space Graduate programme benefit package including an annual Salary of £26,000, plus a welcome payment of £2,000.
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate the following:
- At minimum, a 2:1 degree or equivalent qualification in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering or related subject.
- Appreciation of software, preferably direct experience in using an FEA solver and pre/post processor.
- From combined theoretical knowledge and practical experience, proven basic understanding of structural engineering principles and ability to learn required analysis techniques.
- Through educational and industrial experience or interests, an aptitude for things mechanical, understanding the materials, design and construction of mechanical solutions.
- Applied abilities, working individually and preferably as part of a project team, to organise own tasks, track and assure the achievement of objectives, deliverables and milestones.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- The successful candidate will be subject to UK National Security Clearance in order to undertake related work in accordance with business needs.
Please note the closing date for applications to this position is 25th November 2016.
Please let us know if you need us to make any adjustments. Examples of this may include (but is not exclusive to) accessible facilities; additional time for written exercises; auxiliary aids; room layout; dietary requirements etc. If you wish to discuss this further please contact via email.. Any information disclosed will be treated in the strictest confidence.
Airbus Group is committed to achieving workforce diversity and creating an inclusive working environment. We welcome all applications irrespective of social and cultural background, age, gender, disability, sexual orientation or religious belief.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!