Graduate Mechanisms Engineer
Airbus Defence and Space is a division of Airbus Group formed by combining the business activities of Cassidian, Astrium and Airbus Military. The new division is Europe's number one defence and space enterprise, the second largest space business worldwide and among the top ten global defence enterprises. It employs some 40,000 employees generating revenues of approximately €14 billion per year.
Airbus Group is a global leader in aeronautics, space and related services. In 2015, the Group - comprising Airbus, Airbus Defence and Space and Airbus Helicopters - generated revenues of € 64.5 billion and employed a workforce of around 136,600.
Our people work with passion and determination to make the world a more connected, safer and smarter place. Taking pride in our work, we draw on each other's expertise and experience to achieve excellence. Our diversity and teamwork culture propel us to accomplish the extraordinary - on the ground, in the sky and in space.
Description of the job
Our UK Graduate Programme provides exceptional graduates the opportunity to master managerial and technical skills. Over the two year period it combines rotational placements with focused training and the possibility of European assignments as well as further personal development and the chance to build your professional network.
From day one, you will be assigned to a particular department and will be guided through the various placement opportunities that exist within your function, the wider business and even with customers and suppliers. This, along with training provided works to ensure you are ready and experienced enough to take the next step of your career following the programme's conclusion.
The role of Graduate Mechanisms Engineer is based in the Mechanisms Engineering and Development department, Stevenage, a team of highly skilled engineers with extensive experience of designing, testing and delivering complex space mechanisms to the telecoms and Earth, Navigation and Science (ENS) business divisions.
The team are responsible for supplying various mechanisms internally to the current E3000 telecoms satellites and bespoke mechanisms to ESA science missions. In addition to mechanisms, the team offer support on a consultancy basis to Airbus prime contracts on all aspects of mechanisms design from initial studies to supporting sub-contractors.
You will join a close knit, multi-functional, integrated team that not only includes mechanisms engineers but also, quality, procurement, CADM, manufacturing and export control. This will enable you to gain a strong understanding of many facets of the life cycle of a space mechanism and gain an invaluable engineering knowledge base to help develop you as an engineer.
Main activities will include:
- Providing support to high precision and high reliability complex mechanisms production, as well as new developments and design evolution of existing Solar Array Drive Mechanisms, Antenna pointing products and cryogenic cooler systems.
- Providing support to the ENS directorate for mechanical systems development activities related to mechanisms and other science instrumentation, primarily during initial phase A studies.
- Communicating across multi disciplines such as stress, thermal and design office, liaising with customers at all levels and delivering technical presentations to both external customers and internal customers/management.
- Involvement with testing of the mechanisms which will include functional testing, vibration and shock testing and thermal vacuum testing.
- This role will be based in Stevenage and will receive the full Airbus Defence & Space Graduate programme benefit package including an annual Salary of £26,000, plus a welcome payment of £2,000.
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate the following:
- At minimum, a 2:1 degree or equivalent qualification in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Mechatronics, Robotics or related subject.
- An understanding of mechanisms, preferably including motors, tribology and materials is advantageous.
- An understanding of electrical engineering in the context of electromechanical devices.
- Excellent communication, presentation and technical leadership skills.
- Excellent team working skills.
- An interest in space.
The successful candidate will be subject to UK National Security Clearance in order to undertake related work in accordance with business needs.
Please note the closing date for applications to this position is 25th November 2016.
Please let us know if you need us to make any adjustments. Examples of this may include (but is not exclusive to) accessiblefacilities; additional time for written exercises; auxiliary aids; room layout; dietary requirements etc. If you wish to discuss this further please contact via email.. Any information disclosed will be treated in the strictest confidence.
Airbus Group is committed to achieving workforce diversity and creating an inclusive working environment. We welcome all applications irrespective of social and cultural background, age, gender, disability, sexual orientation or religious belief.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!