Graduate RF Systems Engineer
Airbus Defence and Space is a division of Airbus Group formed by combining the business activities of Cassidian, Astrium and Airbus Military. The new division is Europe's number one defence and space enterprise, the second largest space business worldwide and among the top ten global defence enterprises. It employs some 40,000 employees generating revenues of approximately €14 billion per year.
Airbus Group is a global leader in aeronautics, space and related services. In 2015, the Group - comprising Airbus, Airbus Defence and Space and Airbus Helicopters - generated revenues of € 64.5 billion and employed a workforce of around 136,600.
Our people work with passion and determination to make the world a more connected, safer and smarter place. Taking pride in our work, we draw on each other's expertise and experience to achieve excellence. Our diversity and teamwork culture propel us to accomplish the extraordinary - on the ground, in the sky and in space.
Description of the job
Our UK Graduate Programme provides exceptional graduates the opportunity to master managerial and technical skills. Over the two year period it combines rotational placements with focused training and the possibility of European assignments as well as further personal development and the chance to build your professional network.
From day one, you will be assigned to a particular department and will be guided through the various placement opportunities that exist within your function, the wider business and even with customers and suppliers. This, along with training provided works to ensure you are ready and experienced enough to take the next step of your career following the programme's conclusion.
The System Engineering department within the Telecom Business Division is responsible for providing engineering support to telecom payload project process owners ("KPO's"); to payload R&D activities and to the development of advanced payload products. Main customers include SES, Eutelsat and Inmarsat.
In addition to the acquisition of solid knowledge in the domain of space missions and telecom payloads, this Graduate role is an opportunity to get involved with the definition of future products within a constantly changing industry. This role is based at the Portsmouth site which is the Airbus Centre of Excellence for Telecom payloads.
Main activities will include:
- Perform RF analyses of payload performances as part of an integrated project team.
- Support the mission through the payload project lifecycle, in particular with the preparation and presentation to the customer at project gate reviews.
- Support the Assembly Integration and test phases, first at payload level, and then at spacecraft level (for environmental tests for instance).
- Support the equipment level test results review.
- Work at transverse level with other groups such as the Mechanical Design Office, Purchasing, equipment suppliers and Assembly and Integration Test teams.
- The role will later evolve to include support to R&D, proposals and take a role in payload and advances sub-system modelling.
- This role will be based in Portsmouth and will receive the full Airbus Defence & Space Graduate programme benefit package including an annual Salary of £26,000, plus a welcome payment of £2,000.
- At minimum, a 2:1 degree or equivalent qualification in Telecommunications, Electronic Engineering, Physics or related subject.
- An interest in working in the space industry.
- Knowledge of RF, microwave, radio communications and / or antennas.
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office Excel.
- An understanding of Satellite Communications systems / Satellite Links.
- Experience with modelling tools such as Matlab , Simulink, SystemVue, ADS.
- Any experience involving utilisation of RF instruments, test equipment and test techniques.
The successful candidate will be subject to UK National Security Clearance in order to undertake related work in accordance with business needs.
Please note the closing date for applications to this position is 25th November 2016.
Please let us know if you need us to make any adjustments. Examples of this may include (but is not exclusive to) accessible facilities; additional time for written exercises; auxiliary aids; room layout; dietary requirements etc. If you wish to discuss this further please contact via email. Any information disclosed will be treated in the strictest confidence.
Airbus Group is committed to achieving workforce diversity and creating an inclusive working environment. We welcome all applications irrespective of social and cultural background, age, gender, disability, sexual orientation or religious belief.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!