Operations Specialist - Laboratory Internship
Description of the job
The Materials Laboratory function provides specialists services to various departments at Airbus in the UK, Broughton, external customers and suppliers. The Departmental team carries out a wide range of technical activities in support of various customers, some examples are described below:
Mechanical - Carrying out all testing of a mechanical nature -such as the control of heat treatment tensile mechanical testing and process coupon checks of riveting stacks for countersink gapping.
Chemical - Control of chemical processes in Surface Treatment Facilities, chemical analysis and associated performance checks of equipment and consumables.
Metallurgical - Investigation of product / material non-conformance including material failures and fractures, approval of specialist manufacturing personnel, and assessment of suppliers' technical capabilities.
Tasks will include:
- Interface with the operational teams and integrate with all support functions.
- Gather data through interviews, experiments and / or literature reviews.
- Conduct experiments
- Analyse and interpret results of technical work and testing
- Statistical analysis of data generated.
- Set up experimental facilities
- General Lab duties
- Adhere and promote COSHH requirements within the Laboratory environment in accordance with local procedures
- Perform regular and specific feedback of achievements and findings to the Quality / Engineering Team - Conduct Out of Specification investigations
- Generate protocols, summary reports, Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and other lab-related documents
- Maintain data integrity, systems, and records
- Identify and implement improvements to daily lab operations, standard work, testing work flow/cycle time, test methods and lab capability using typical Lean Six Sigma methodologies.
- Ensure safe laboratory conditions and practices through good housekeeping, equipment maintenance, and safety education
You must be an undergraduate for the full duration of the internship studying towards a degree in one of the following:
- Chemistry Metallurgy / Materials Engineering Skill set required for the Role
- Interest in science / chemistry
- Thrives in a challenging environment
- Adherence to processes
- Team working
- Laboratory experience is preferred
- Excellent research and presentation skills
- Knowledge of analytical methods / instruments e.g. ICP / IC and XRF techniques.
- Experience with related software such as Microsoft packages will also be considered when reviewing applications.
Please let us know if you need us to make any adjustments to allow you to access and participate fully in the recruitment process. Examples of this may include (but is not exclusive to) accessible facilities; additional time for written exercises; auxiliary aids; room layout; dietary requirements etc. If you wish to discuss this further please contact us via email. Any information disclosed will be treated in the strictest confidence.
Airbus Group is committed to achieving workforce diversity and creating an inclusive working environment. We welcome all applications irrespective of social and cultural background, age, gender, disability, sexual orientation or religious belief.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!