Graduate Robotics Systems Engineer
Description of the job
The opportunity to join the Advanced Projects department within Airbus Defence and Space is an exciting one, not only will you gain a vast amount of experience but it will be applied to projects that are driving the future of the technological world!
Building on the development of the ExoMars rover, a complex robotic system with built-in autonomy that will explore the surface of Mars for traces of life or beyond, the Advanced Projects group is defining, designing and building the next generation of space robotic systems. From manipulators to rovers, to support a range of future planetary missions including Mars Sample Return, but also in-orbit activities such as servicing and manufacturing.
Our UK Graduate Programme provides exceptional graduates the opportunity to master managerial and technical skills. Over the two year period it combines rotational placements with focused training and the possibility of European assignments as well as further personal development and the chance to build your professional network.
From day one, you will be assigned to a particular department and will be guided through the various placement opportunities that exist within your function, the wider business and even with customers and suppliers. This, along with training provided works to ensure you are ready and experienced enough to take the next step of your career following the programme's conclusion.
Joining this team, you will have the opportunity to work at both conceptual and system level, as well as being more hands-on in the development and testing of robotic systems in a laboratory or field environment.
Within this position there are numerous opportunities to interact with experienced engineers for various disciplines to design and build forward-looking robot systems for planetary and in-space activities as well as rotate across the broader business to develop experience. Tasks may include (but are not limited to);
- Close working with our customers including the European Space Agency and the UK Space agency
- Identifying and working on opportunities to spin out our space robotics technology into other terrestrial sectors
- Analysing mission requirements and supporting the design of robotic systems
- Supporting robotics focussed studies and development activities
- Developing a professional network and contribute to the growth of Robotics activities
- Managing Research and Development activities and projects
- Contributing as a key and valued team member
As the successful candidate, you must be able to demonstrate the following;
- As a minimum, a 2:1 degree or equivalent in Mechatronics, Robotics, Computer Science, Control Engineering, Electronics or related subject
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Be proactive and comfortable working in an autonomous way
- Initiative and strong team focus
- Practical experience would be desirable
This role will be based in Stevenage and will receive the full Airbus Defence & Space Graduate programme benefit package including an annual Salary of £27,000, plus a welcome payment of £2,000.
Please ensure that a covering letter detailing motivations and suitability for this position is included in your application.
The successful candidate will be subject to UK National Security Clearance in order to undertake related work in accordance with business needs.
Please note the closing date for applications to this position is 17th November 2017.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!