Graduate Telecom Payload System Engineer
Description of the job
Our UK Graduate Programme provides exceptional graduates the opportunity to master managerial and technical skills. Over the two year period it combines rotational placements with focused training and the possibility of European assignments as well as further personal development and the chance to build your professional network.
From day one, you will be assigned to a particular department and will be guided through the various placement opportunities that exist within your function, the wider business and even with customers and suppliers. This, along with training provided works to ensure you are ready and experienced enough to take the next step of your career following the programme's conclusion.
The Payload System Engineering department within the Telecom Business Division is responsible for providing engineering support to telecom payload projects; to payload R&D activities and to the development of advanced payload products. Main customers include SES, Eutelsat and Inmarsat. In addition to the acquisition of solid knowledge in the domain of space missions and telecom payloads, this Graduate role is an opportunity to get involved with the definition of future products within a constantly changing industry. You will also work in a multi-disciplinary department and in close cooperation with our colleagues in other Airbus sites responsible for the overall satellite. From this role there are excellent opportunities for career progression in technical and managerial roles both within the Telecom business division (RF lead for telecom payloads, advance payload expert, engineering manager, project manager) and in other divisions (Assembly Integration and Test, Communications Products). This role is based at the Portsmouth site which is the Airbus Centre of Excellence for Telecom payloads.
Main activities will include:
- Support the design process of a telecom payload (system, electrical and EMC aspects)
- Perform RF analyses of payload performances as part of an integrated project team.
- Support the Electrical and EMC experts as required
- Support the mission through the payload project lifecycle, in particular with the preparation and presentation to the customer at project gate reviews.
- Support the equipment level test results review.
- Support the definition and implementation of calibration curves in the telemetry and telecommand database
- Support the Assembly Integration and test phases, first at payload level, and then at spacecraft level (for environmental tests for instance).
- Work at transverse level with other groups such as the Mechanical Design Office, Purchasing, equipment suppliers and Assembly and Integration Test teams.
- The role will later evolve to include support to R&D, proposals and take a role in payload and advances sub-system modelling.
As the successful candidate you will be able to demonstrate the following;
- At minimum, a 2:1 degree or equivalent qualification in Telecommunications, Electrical/ Electronic Engineering, Physics or related subject.
- An interest in working in the space industry.
- Good understanding of electrical engineering principles ¤ Interest in the RF Telecommunications field shown by undertaking one or more of the following modules (or similar); RF Systems, Communication and Propagation, Communication Theory, Wireless Communications, Satellite Communications.
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office applications, in particular Excel.
- An understanding of Satellite Communications systems / Satellite Links.
- Undertaking of one or more of the the following modules (or similar): Coding Theory, Digital communications, Antennas and Propagation, Digital Signal Processing.
- Experience with modelling tools such as Matlab , Simulink, SystemVue, ADS.
- Any experience involving utilisation of RF instruments, test equipment and test techniques.
- Awareness of EMC principles
This role will be based in Portsmouth and will receive the full Airbus Defence & Space Graduate programme benefit package including an annual Salary of £27,000, plus a welcome payment of £2,000.
Please ensure that a covering letter detailing motivations and suitability for this position is included in your application.
The successful candidate will be subject to UK National Security Clearance in order to undertake related work in accordance with business needs.
Please note the closing date for applications to this position is 17th November 2017
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!