Graduate Ground Systems Engineer
Description of the job
Our UK Graduate Programme provides exceptional graduates the opportunity to master managerial and technical skills. Over the two year period it combines rotational placements with focused training and the possibility of European assignments as well as further personal development and the chance to build your professional network.
From day one, you will be assigned to a particular department and will be guided through the various placement opportunities that exist within your function, the wider business and even with customers and suppliers. This, along with training provided works to ensure you are ready and experienced enough to take the next step of your career following the programme's conclusion.
The Earth, Navigation and Science directorate (ENS) undertakes the design and production of Earth Observation, Navigation & Science satellites systems. Some of ENS current projects are: NovaSAR-S, a Synthetic Aperture RADAR satellite system, Galileo, a Global Navigation Satellite System and MetOp Second Generation, a major meteorological mission.
The ENS ground systems group requires a bright, enthusiastic and talented graduate engineer with a strong interest in systems engineering and the ability to learn rapidly.
The successful candidate will be involved in a wide spectrum of projects within ENS.
The role requires an engineer who is able to quickly understand the scientific and mathematical content within a project and be able to translate this understanding into algorithmic implementations. A high attention to detail is essential.
Main activities of the role may include:
- Requirements analysis and system design for complex systems
- Software development
- Modelling scientific processes using Matlab or equivalent modelling tool
- Generate engineering lifecycle artefacts such as formal test procedures and test results in line with the agreed engineering process and perform duties to support the engineering process
- Work as part of a multi-disciplinary team within a project context
- Support to satellite operations
As the successful candidate, you will be able to demonstrate the following:
- At minimum, a 2:1 degree or equivalent qualification in Physics, Mathematics, Natural Sciences, Aerospace Engineering or related subject.
- Understanding of system engineering design principles
- Experience of complex algorithm implementation
- Strong IT skills including software development
- Evidence of strong interest in systems engineering and the space industry
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Be proactive and comfortable working both autonomously and as part of a team.
- Experience of system modelling (e.g. UML/SysML)
- Experience of scientific research
- Matlab or equivalent numerical processing language
- Programming languages C/C++/Java
- Unix/Linux Operating system familiarity Scripting languages (e.g. shell scripts, perl, python etc)
- Understanding of communications systems
This role will be based in Portsmouth and will receive the full Airbus Defence & Space Graduate programme benefit package including an annual Salary of £27,000, plus a welcome payment of £2,000.
Please ensure that a covering letter detailing motivations for a career in Engineering and suitability for this position is included in your application.
The successful candidate will be subject to UK Security Clearance in order to undertake related work in accordance with business needs.
Please note the closing date for applications to this position is 17th November 2017.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!