Political Affairs Internship - Broughton
Description of the job
Internships are available at Airbus in the UK offering exciting opportunities to work in a challenging, dynamic and multicultural organisation.
The successful applicants will be part of a small public affairs team which handles government relations with key stakeholders for the company, namely senior internal management team, members of parliament, assembly members and civil servants.
The department has a wide-ranging and responsive role, so you can expect to be involved in a variety of activities during the placement, providing a greater understanding with the link between theoretical and practical politics.
Some typical activities are outlined below.
- Providing support for the Public Affairs team in the UK, including the Senior Vice President, Airbus and the Head of Public Affairs Defence and Helicopters, as well as other members of the wider senior Airbus in the UK management team in terms of executive briefings. ¤ Where necessary, attend policy and committee hearings in Parliament and, on occasions, attend events in Parliament and the Welsh Assembly.
- Provide co-ordination support for stakeholder mapping and management. ¤ Assist with VIP visits to Airbus sites, event planning and implementation of public affairs events.
- Assist with the preparation of quarterly Parliamentary Newsletters sent to all parliamentarians.
- Production of weekly political update for senior management.
Public Policy research
- Prepare public affairs reports
- Providing a tracking and monitoring service of key public policy developments which may affect the company eg general Government policy, defence and innovation policy, manufacturing, skills and training, legislation and exports ¤ Analysing policy developments and preparing briefings for internal and external company use
- Preparing presentations on public policy issues
The position would suit someone who has knowledge of and a keen interest in political affairs. If applying for the London placement, a keen interest in defence is also desirable. All applicants should be able to work well in a team, be self-motivated and know how to use their own initiative. The successful candidates will need to be able to demonstrate good communication skills including the ability to write clearly and simply, have a polite and professional telephone manner, knowledge of Microsoft Office tools, be familiar with the internet and able to work to deadlines. Holding a clean, full driver's licence is desirable but not essential.
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate the following assets
- Be an undergraduate for the whole duration of the placement
- Knowledge of political affairs
- Use of own initiative
- Able to communicate in clear and professional manner
- Ability to write clearly and accurately
- Excellent use of English and numeracy
- Able to produce high quality work
- Ability to work in a team
- Self-motivated and enthusiastic
- Well organised
- Studying at degree level in Politics, International Relations, Economics, Government Relations, Public Policy (or a combined degree including one of these)
- Interest in current affairs
- An interest in defence if applying for the London placement
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!