Landing Gear Internship
Description of the job
We have several internship opportunities within the Landing Gear Centre of Competence (CoC) which is one of the six Engineering Centres of Competence including Cabin and Cargo, Airframe, Systems, Flight Physics and Powerplant.
- We provide operational leadership over all ATA32 Landing Gear matters, including in front of our internal customers and vendors.
- We aim to provide Airbus with excellence in Landing Gear definition, integration, engineering solutions, industrial and in-service support.
- The CoC is responsible for the integration of the Landing Gear into the aircraft across all ATA32 deliverables and for the application of related programme management and development processes to ensure delivery to Time, Cost, Quality and Performance (TQCP).
The philosophy of the CoC is to provide a challenging, exciting and rewarding working experience for all of our people. We embrace diversity and believe in building empowered teams of complimentary personalities and skills. Key to achieving this are respectful team members with good organisational and communication skills, an ability to listen, learn and take the lead in the correct situation.
We are able to offer a variety of experiences exposing you to a wide range of tasks, objectives and deliverables aiming to allow you to contribute to the generation of the optimum solutions for the landing gear product:
- Landing Gear engineering requires a combination of structural and systems disciplines.
- Structural aspects refer to the mechanical landing gear and the interfaces to the aircraft structure to take loads upon landing.
- Systems refer to hydraulic, electrical and computer systems which manoeuvring the aircraft on the ground and retract or extend the gear once in flight. The development of these systems requires control laws and other safety critical software.
- Airbus is the aircraft integrator and the Landing Gear CoC interfaces and manages many suppliers to provide the components, equipment and systems that together form the Landing Gear product.
Start date: 2nd July 2018
The Landing Gear CoC is also a strong contributor to the Airbus Digital Transformation project and Skywise Digital Platform. In the area of big data and advanced analytics we are working to extract value from data that is generated during the Landing Gear development process, including from the simulation models, the test rigs and flight test, and from in-service aircraft. There are also opportunities to work on projects related the connectivity of our product, think Internet of Things applied to aircraft and Landing Gear, and on the application of virtual and augmented reality to Engineering.
Interns will be given the opportunity to have placements working with experienced teams across the Airbus aircraft family, from new development through to in-service aircraft, as well working alongside suppliers, customers and manufacturing assembly where necessary. We aim to provide interns with opportunities to own a project where possible. Equally they should be expected to support on-going activities.
You must be an undergraduate for the full duration of the internship.
The following degrees are highly relevant to Landing Gear CoC Engineering:
- Aeronautical, Aerospace or Space Engineering
- Systems Engineering
- Engineering with Math's/Physics
- Engineering as a core degree in combination with another.
- Systems Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Robotics and Mechatronics
The following degrees will be considered in combination with a strong interest in applying your expertise within the Aviation Engineering Industry.
- Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information Technology
- Digital technology
- Data Science and Analytics
- Project Management
- Analytical thinking and problem solving.
- Teamwork and leadership
- Pro-active with a strong drive for personal development
Knowledge of the following would be advantageous:
General knowledge of Landing Systems or similar systems:
- Hydraulic valves
- Avionics systems
- Structures and mechanics
- Sensors and electrical systems
- Mechanical and hydraulic modelling tools such as ADAMS
- System modelling tools such as Simulink and MatLab
- CAD tools such as CATIA
- Coding skills such as C/C++, python, R
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!