Systems Engineering Graduate - Lightning Direct Effects
Description of the job
The Lightning Direct Effects (LDE) group is a transnational team within the System Engineering Design Office responsible for providing all aspects of aircraft protection against the direct effects of lightning strikes. This includes a significant focus on protection of fuel tanks and the general fuel system.
Department responsibilities include developing and applying innovative lightning protection solutions to support the ramp up of deliveries, keeping the growing fleets in the air and designing future aircraft.
This is done with a strong focus on research & technology, working closely with Airbus Group Innovations, research institutions, industrial partners and the airworthiness regulators. EYDVA are the design authority for compliance to ATA391 (Lightning Direct Effects and Structural Electrostatic discharge) regulations.
The department operates across all Airbus sites, all Airbus aircraft programmes and all aircraft components (wing, fuselage, tail). New graduates will be fully integrated into a transnational way of working and encouraged to work across Airbus sites and functions on a daily basis, which will also involve the opportunity to travel to other sites.
As the graduate's main mission will be to provide protection to the fuel system, graduates will also work closely with the fuel systems and structures departments.
We are passionate about developing graduate engineers to prepare our future thus whilst new graduates will be given challenging objectives they will be fully supported in their mission to fully exploit the state of the art knowledge and techniques in aircraft lightning protection and in doing so develop their technical and behavioural competences.
Your main mission will be to:
- Develop optimised lightning protection solutions for the design & development of aircraft fuel tank & fuel system protection using latest analytical & test techniques
- Provide compliance with certification requirements under ATA391 (lightning direct effects) for delivery to certification authorities EASA and FAA
- Providing strong link between R&T activities to existing Airbus products and future designs to ensure exploitation of state of the art techniques
- Develop harmonised design solutions and policies that have aircraft level benefits across multi-programme and multi-components where possible
- Develop strong relationships across transnational teams working in a collaborative and knowledge sharing manner
- Longer term; developing an ability to provide reactive support to manufacturing (concessions analysis) and in-service queries (including AOGs)
- Apply latest analysis techniques (including computational modelling) to provide lightning protection solutions to aircraft fuel tank design
- Develop test strategies and manage lightning test campaigns from initial definition to analysis and reporting of results
- Deliver compliance reports for certification related to lightning direct effects
- Provide support to design reviews and internal customer programme teams
- Identify ideas for design improvements and present to stakeholders to implement ideas
- Develop requirements from airworthiness regulation and cascade to customer teams
- Capture knowledge and lessons learnt in innovative ways and apply to improving policies & processes
We are looking for candidates with the following skills and experience:
- Educated to either degree level (2:1 or above) or accredited MEng or equivalent within one the following disciplines;
- Aeronautical / Aerospace Engineering
- Avionic Systems Engineering
- Electrical / Electronic Engineering
- Systems Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Applied Maths
- Fluid Mechanics
- Fluids and Thermodynamics
- Systems Design and Integration
- Power Electronics
- Control Systems
- Digital Circuits and Systems
- Embedded and Real Time Systems
- Programming in C / C++ / Java
- Completed internship / work experience within Engineering
- Proven team working ability
- MATLAB / Simulink
- Requirements Based Engineering
- Visual Basic
- Microsoft Office Applications
Applicants should demonstrate a keen interest in the Aerospace Industry and profession.
Please note the closing date for applications to this position is 17th November 2017.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!