Customer Service and Business Strategy Graduate Programme
The Global Servicing Network (GSN), and Travel & Lifestyle Services (TLS) are two of our company’s largest divisions, making up over 50% of the American Express business, with employees in 25 countries across the world.
GSN delivers extraordinary customer care to card members, corporate clients and merchants around the world, while providing world class fraud protection and driving revenue growth for the company.
TLS serves American Express Card Members around the world with a full range of travel and lifestyle support, from trip planning and booking to enhancing the broader travel experience and procuring premium experiences; from seats at the chef’s table to planning a wedding ceremony that includes a private helicopter tour into the Grand Canyon!
Our service is an award-winning competitive differentiator and is at the heart of our company’s vision. Our passion for attracting and retaining amazing talent is what makes us stand out as an employer of choice.
What type of work can you expect to do in Customer Service and Business Strategy at American Express?
Customer Service and Business Strategy will offer you varied experiences and a view of end-to-end business management. Your opportunities are diverse; you could be working on employee motivation, capabilities product management, process engineering, risk strategy or customer experience, among a broad range of other possibilities.
The graduate role will involve working on four rotations across key disciplines within GSN and TLS (Change Management, Strategy and Optimization, Customer Engagement and Planning). With each rotation you will perform a different role, focusing on the development of your relationship building, consulting and analytical skills. The roles will also challenge your strategic thinking and understanding.
You will experience new challenges, build a diverse skillset, and gain insight into how the largest part of American Express works end-to-end. Your contributions will have a direct and measurable impact on how we deliver differentiated servicing, continually engage our valued employees, drive revenue growth, and find new, efficient ways of doing business. We value our graduates – you bring a fresh perspective to our business; in return for your time, we will commit to supporting your development, and giving you the freedom, tools and encouragement to drive innovation.
Previous projects have included:
- Working across 22 global sites, leveraging internal analysis and external benchmarking to develop recommendations to enhance the overall coaching capabilities of our front-line Team Leaders, for the Senior Vice President of Customer Engagement.
- Conducting a comprehensive review of customer contact channels for Travel and Lifestyle services, resulting in recommendations to improve the card member experience.
- Leading critical project areas to relocate a service centre from the North of England to Brighton.
Do you have what it takes to build a career here?
- Strong interpersonal skills
- The ability to work independently, but also be a team player and have a desire to collaborate
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills – the ability to talk to people across all levels
- Strong analytical skills and an interest in both quantitative and qualitative analysis
- Understanding of continuous process improvement and problem solving methodologies
- Results driven with the potential to manage projects & initiatives to completion
- Leadership potential – you may end up leading a team
- An interest and care for delivering the best customer service
- Demonstrated ability to drive project implementation working with diverse customer groups
- European Language capability is a bonus!
- Experience of working within a customer service role
- Experience within a general management/operational role is a bonus
- Experience of working in a multicultural environment is also a bonus
- The programme is open to final year and postgraduate students from any degree discipline
- A minimum of 320 UCAS points and a predicted 2:1 degree or international equivalent
Where will I be based?
Why American Express
Talk to our people and you’ll find out what we’re really all about. Open, creative, risk-taking, collaborative and innovative are just some of the expressions you’ll hear. It’s our culture that makes American Express an outstanding place to work, and a big part of why we regularly win best workplace awards all over the world. If you’re ready to take on a challenge and make an impact, you owe it to yourself to launch or grow your career here.
Equal Opportunities Statement
American Express is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or any other status protected by law
If you require any assistance with the completion of this process – or need any reasonable adjustments to be made – then please contact the Campus Recruitment Team.
This role may be subject to additional background verification checks.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!