Graduate Structural/Mechanical Engineer - Advanced Technology & Research
At Arup, we deliver ground-breaking designs through our work in infrastructure, building design and specialist technical services. Independent in ownership and spirit, we are a global firm of engineers, designers, planners, consultants and technical experts who use our skills to make a positive difference in the world.
First principles engineering and advanced analysis are central to our work – we bring to bear the sharpest insight to solve our clients’ most technically challenging problems.
Our numerical simulation and optimisation capability is pre-eminent in analysis-led design. We apply it to improve performance and economy not only in blast, impact, vibration and seismic assessments but also in more conventional design for construction of all types, including refurbishment of existing buildings and infrastructure.
Our specialist structural engineering experts are pushing forward international design practice. In design for dynamic and environmental loads, our leading wind, vibration and seismic expertise produce advancements that both reduce cost and improve performance.
We bring together multidisciplinary teams to design structural and mechanical systems including moveable stadium roofs, observation wheels and motor vehicles.
About the role
Right now we are looking for Graduate Engineers to join our team of bright professionals in our Solihull and London offices. From your first day, you will join an unrivalled community of experts, where you will be supported in your career path and encouraged to work towards a professional qualification.
You will help us to deliver effective and professional services for a range of varied and high-profile clients. While you will have a great deal of responsibility from day one, we will give you the chance to take on more as you progress and broaden your skills.
You will have a thorough understanding of structural and mechanical engineering principles and be interested in diverse applications of these skills. You will have the opportunity to become involved in areas of our work that might require an understanding of fluids, geotechnics, electrical engineering or materials science, and you will be open to developing skills in these areas.
Your role will be to prepare structural design and analysis in co-ordination with the engineering design team as well as architects, quantity surveyors and clients for various projects in the building, industrial, vehicle design and infrastructure business areas. You will gain a thorough understanding of the role of an engineer, experience the use of software design and analysis programs and visit sites to see the work undertaken while at the same time working towards becoming a Chartered Engineer. Main duties:
- Conduct structural analysis
- Prepare structural design
- Carry out design and field research
- Site visits
- Write reports and prepare presentations
- Attend meetings with clients
You will be following Arup's engineering institution-accredited graduate training scheme and be supported and mentored towards achieving Chartered Engineer status.
What we look for
We are looking for graduates with curiosity, personal drive and technical knowhow. If you can combine these skills with an understanding of (or willingness to learn about) the industry and a desire to deliver excellent services for clients, we would like to hear from you. We are looking for the following qualifications, attributes and skills:
- Strong A Levels (or equivalent). For UK A-levels we would expect at least A grade in maths and physics and no less than B grade in other subjects.
- Engineering degree (Masters level in engineering science, mechanical, structural, civil, aeronautical or aerospace engineering) with strong results in all modules (2:1/60% or higher)
- Interest in, or experience of, numerical analysis or simulation
- Strong analytical skills
- Excellent team working skills
What we offer
You will receive all the opportunities that come with a challenging, fulfilling career, including:
- A competitive salary and welcome bonus
- Profit share scheme
- A comprehensive package, including a flexible benefits fund and a generous pension
- Opportunities to work on international projects
- An interesting and varied workload enabling you to make a tangible difference to the world
- A collaborative, intelligent and friendly team in an excellent working environment
- A challenging workload that will stretch your mind and make the most of your skills
- The support you need to develop your career through professional accreditation and training
The deadline for applications is 14th November 2017 and assessment centres will commence in December 2017. Our week-long Graduate Welcome Event will take place in September 2018. Whilst on occasion we may be flexible with our start dates, we would ask that the successful candidates join their peers for this event.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!