Graduate Quantity Surveyor
At Arup, we design and deliver groundbreaking icons through our work in infrastructure, building design and specialist technical services. Independent in ownership and spirit, we’re a global firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical experts who use our skills to make a positive difference in the world.
Arup provides cost management and quantity surveying (QS) services on a vast range of construction projects, including buildings, civil engineering, industrial, infrastructure and major highways projects.
The firm's QS specialists are an integral part of the design and project management team on projects of all sizes and levels of complexity. They contribute to projects with in-depth knowledge of built environment design and the concerns of designers and clients. They share the firm's commitment to sustainable development, project performance and life-cycle analysis.
Cost planning and value management include the evaluation of alternative design against the client’s value criteria for function, quality and durability. The evaluation techniques enable the design team to optimise the design to fit within the client's budget.
Arup's project and cost management team includes experienced quantity surveyors based around the world. Their services range from project conception to design development and include advice on procurement and tendering methodologies, management of the procurement process from tenderer selection through tender evaluation to contract award, and post-contract administration, leading to the agreement of the final account, including the resolution of potential contractual disputes.
Knowledge sharing through the firm's internal networks allows resources and experience to be drawn from many locations around the firm to support and supplement core teams.
About the role
Right now we’re looking for a Graduate Quantity Surveyor to join our team of bright professionals across in our Solihull office. From your first day, you’ll join an unrivalled community of experts, where everyone is supported in their career path and encouraged to work towards a professional qualification
You’ll help us to deliver effective and professional services for a range of varied and high-profile clients. While you’ll have a great deal of responsibility from day one, we’ll give you the chance to take on more as you progress and broaden your skills.
Graduates will be working in a multi-disciplinary office in co-ordination with their team as well as external clients for projects across a wide range of markets. They will gain, with the support and guidance of the existing team, a thorough understanding of the role of quantity surveyor whilst working towards the goal of a professional qualification.
Graduates will be expected to undertake the following responsibilities:
- Support senior team members in delivering construction projects and consultancy assignments;
- Be proactive in communicating and working with the direct team as well as internal/external clients;
- Take and understand a brief, and follow instructions and/or use own initiative to achieve designated tasks in a timely manner;
- Understand the required outputs/deliverables of a project or assignment, and work efficiently to deliver them;
- Develop relationships with clients, always being professional, presentable and articulate;
- Adopt a flexible approach to working, supporting multiple teams across the buildings and infrastructure sectors; and
- Take ownership for own development towards passing the RICS’ Assessment of Professional Competence.
What we look for
We’re looking for graduates with curiosity, personal drive and technical knowhow. If you can combine these skills with an understanding of (or willingness to learn about) the Quantity Surveying sector and a desire to deliver excellent services for clients, we’d like to hear from you.
We’re looking for the following qualifications, attributes and skills:
- RICS accredited, surveying-based degree with a result, or predicted result, of 2:1 or higher (predictions should be supported by demonstration of module results to date).
Skills and behaviours:
- Proactive, motivated and enthusiastic;
- A team player, who can adopt flexible working practices to support the needs of the business;
- Articulate, with both excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Professional in appearance and attitude, always demonstrating integrity and honesty;
- Logical in their approach to tasks, with the ability to interpret, understand and analyse data;
- Able to apply their own initiative to undertake tasks independently;
- Output focused, always working with the objective in mind;
- Commercially astute with strong numerical skills, demonstrating an attention to detail;
- Organised in their approach and able to prioritise workload to deliver objectives in a timely manner;
- Able to demonstrate creative and innovative approaches to problem solving; and
- Proficient with Microsoft Office products.
What we offer
There are infinite possibilities when you join Arup. You’ll receive all the opportunities that come with a challenging, fulfilling career, including:
- A competitive salary and welcome bonus
- Profit share scheme
- A comprehensive package, including a flexible benefits fund and a generous pension
- Opportunities to work on international projects through our Early Development Scholarship
- An interesting and varied workload where you’ll make a tangible difference to the world
- A collaborative, intelligent and friendly team in an excellent working environment
- A challenging workload that will stretch your mind and make the most of your skills
- The support you need to develop your career through professional accreditation and training
Our Graduate Welcome Week will take place in September 2018. Although we can be flexible on start dates we would hope that the successful candidate will join their peers for induction.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!