Graduate GIS Specialist/Developer
At Arup, we design and deliver ground breaking icons through our work in infrastructure, building design and specialist technical services. Independent in ownership and spirit, we’re a global firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical experts who use our skills to make a positive difference in the world.
About the role
We’re looking for GIS Specialists/Developers to join our team of bright professionals in our Belfast, Bristol, Cardiff, London and Solihull offices. From your first day, you’ll join an unrivalled community of experts, where everyone is supported and mentored in their career path and encouraged to work towards a professional qualification.
You’ll help us to deliver effective and professional services for a range of varied and high-profile clients. While you’ll be given a good level of responsibility from day one, we’ll give you the chance to take on more as you progress and broaden your skills.
Your workload will be varied and challenging, and may include all elements of GIS while working on projects of global and national importance, such as HS2, Crossrail and other major infrastructure, strategic and master planning, research, environmental reviews. GIS is used extensively across our Digital, Environment, Planning, Transport, Ecology, Energy and Civil Engineering discipline teams.
You will have the opportunity to work with the full suite of ESRI’s ArcGIS tools, FME, Open Source products and other key data management, manipulation and visualisation software. You will have the opportunity to develop your core GIS and supporting skills including web, server and development skills.
What we look for
We’re looking for graduates with curiosity, personal drive and technical knowhow. If you can combine these skills with an understanding of (or willingness to learn about) the GIS sector and a desire to deliver excellent services for clients, we’d like to hear from you.
We’re looking for the following qualifications, attributes and skills:
- A bachelors degree and/or masters degree in a relevant subject such as Geography, GIS, Computer / Data Science or Software Development is required
- Strong technical expertise and a sound understanding of database management, programming, development, web and visualisation.
- You will have the drive to excel in your chosen career and enjoy this challenge and the satisfaction that accompanies success. The role will be to assist the existing GIS teams with an expanding workload and to offer complementary and new skills to growing this area of work.
- You should have proven academic experience of utilising and deploying data solutions.
- Key to this role will be the use of this knowledge to integrate systems and build software customisations to make spatial and non-spatial data analysis more easily accessible, so experience in this also desirable.
- Experience in the visualisation and analysis of complex and large data sets is desirable.
- You should be an innovative problem solver, someone who thinks ‘outside the box’ and who is able to communicate ideas and solutions.
- You should have a positive and forward-thinking approach and enjoy working as part of a friendly and supportive team.
- Workload will be diverse; and the ability to multi-task and manage your workload is important.
- GIS and the online use of data is a rapid growth area and we want someone who can help to expand this further through innovative thinking, enthusiasm and vision.
- You should be keen to learn and develop your skills as you gain experience in new areas of work.
What we offer
There are infinite possibilities when you join Arup. You’ll receive all the opportunities that come with a challenging, fulfilling career, including:
- A competitive salary and welcome bonus
- Profit share scheme
- A comprehensive package, including a flexible benefits fund and a generous pension
- Opportunities to work on international projects through our Early Development Scholarship
- An interesting and varied workload where you’ll make a tangible difference to the world
- A collaborative, intelligent and friendly team in an excellent working environment
- A challenging workload that will stretch your mind and make the most of your skills
- The support you need to develop your career through professional accreditation and training
The deadline for applications is 14th November 2017, and assessments will take place shortly after.
Our Graduate Welcome Week will take place in September 2018. Although we can be flexible on start dates we would hope that the successful candidate will join their peers for induction.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!