Graduate Geotechnical Engineer
At Arup, we design and deliver groundbreaking icons through our work in infrastructure, building design and specialist technical services. Independent in ownership and spirit, we’re a global firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical experts who use our skills to make a positive difference in the world.
Our Geotechnical Engineers apply their specialist skills to buildings and infrastructure projects across the globe. We offer our clients a broad spectrum of expertise and consulting services in a wide variety of projects including highways, rail, energy, waste, water, mining, education, sports and leisure facilities, government/commercial and industrial buildings.
As one of the world’s leading design consultancies, we offer clients the innovation and technical know-how to continually deliver their projects on schedule and on budget, but without compromise. For over 65 years Arup have continued to pioneer distinctive creative designs. We maintain our reputation because we invest in attracting and developing the most inventive of engineers.
About the role
Right now we’re looking for Geotechnical Engineers to join our team of bright professionals across several of our UK offices. From your first day, you’ll join an unrivalled community of experts, where everyone is supported in their career path and encouraged to work towards a professional qualification.
You’ll help us to deliver effective and professional services for a range of varied and high-profile clients. While you’ll have a great deal of responsibility from day one, we’ll give you the chance to take on more as you progress and broaden your skills. You will have the opportunity to work alongside multi-disciplinary design teams including Rail, Water, Civil, Buildings and Bridges. Our team structure requires you to support the team across the sub region you work within and may require you to work in any of our offices from time to time to support workload, network development and skill development.
Typical responsibilities include:
- Design, procure and supervise Site Investigation and surveys
- Technical report writing including desk studies and interpretative reports
- Design calculations
- Use of technical analysis and design software packages
- Preparation of contract documents including drawings and specifications
- Liaison with Contractors and Clients
- Attend and participate in stakeholder meetings
- Network with the wider Arup Geotechnics Practice community
- Appreciation of our business embrace briefs, budgets and monitor delivery
- Client Care including internal and external clients
What we look for
We’re looking for graduates with curiosity, personal drive and technical knowhow. If you can combine these skills with an understanding of (or willingness to learn about) the Geotechnical sector and a desire to deliver excellent services for clients, we’d like to hear from you.
We’re looking for the following qualifications, attributes and skills:
- Degree qualified to a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering or Similar subject, at 2.1 or above (predicted or attained)
- Ideally an MEng or Masters in a Geotechnics based course
- Preference for grade B or above in A-Level (or equivalent) Mathematics and Science based subject, although not essential
- Strong numerical and analytical skills
- Demonstrate attention to detail and be accurate in your work
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- An appreciation of other disciplines which influence geotechnical design, such as structures, highways or rail etc.
- Ability to appreciate and understand the needs of your clients
- Demonstrate a creative approach to problem solving
- Enthusiasm for a career in Geotechnics Engineering underpinned through a knowledge and understanding of our sector and work
- The aptitude to work on your own initiative and be proactive
- Seek to improve existing ways of working, by finding efficiencies in processes
- Have an analytical thought process
- Be dedicated to the delivery of projects, and the development of the team and business as a whole
- Be planned and organised in your approach to work and meeting deadlines
- Be flexible to the needs of the business, and changes to project plans
What we offer
There are infinite possibilities when you join Arup. You’ll receive all the opportunities that come with a challenging, fulfilling career, including:
- A competitive salary and welcome bonus
- Profit share scheme
- A comprehensive package, including a flexible benefits fund and a generous pension
- Opportunities to work on international projects through our Early Development Scholarship (after a qualifying period)
- An interesting and varied workload where you’ll make a tangible difference to the world
- A collaborative, intelligent and friendly team in an excellent working environment
- A challenging workload that will stretch your mind and make the most of your skills
- The support you need to develop your career through professional accreditation and training
The deadline for applications is 14th November 2017 and assessment centres will commence in December 2017. Our week-long Graduate Welcome Event will take place in September 2018. Whilst on occasion we may be flexible with our start dates, we would ask that the successful candidates join their peers for this event.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!