Graduate Environmental Consultant
At Arup, we deliver ground-breaking designs through our work in infrastructure, building design and specialist technical services. Independent in ownership and spirit, we’re a global firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical experts who use our skills to make a positive difference in the world.
Arup's innovative approach to environmental consulting enables clients to achieve their sustainable business and corporate responsibility aspirations.
Our consultants offer a multidisciplinary service aimed at developing policy, optioneering, assessing impacts, creative design and implementation, supporting stakeholder engagement, gaining regulatory approvals, managing risk and controlling costs.
Develop your career on world class environmental projects such as High Speed 2, Smart Motorways, and the Eurasia Tunnel Project in Turkey: we have opportunities for environmental consultants across the UK.
Who we are looking for
Right now we’re looking for Graduate Consultants to join our team of bright professionals across several of our UK offices. As our consulting team offers a multidisciplinary service, we are looking for Graduates with diverse skills and interests, with a passion to specialise in one of the following disciplines:
- Air quality
- Cultural heritage
- Contaminated land
- Sustainability, carbon and climate change
- Environmental impact assessment (EIA)
- Environmental and social due diligence (ESDD)
About the role
From your first day, you’ll join an unrivalled community of experts, where you will be supported and mentored in your chosen career path and encouraged to work towards a professional qualification (Chartership) during the first few years of your career with us.
You’ll help us to deliver effective and professional services for a range of varied and high-profile clients. While you’ll have good level of responsibility from day one, we’ll give you the chance to take on more as you progress and broaden your skills.
You will gain a thorough understanding and experience of the role of an environmental consultant whilst gaining the breadth of experience needed to achieve your professional qualification.
This is a varied role, and your day-to-day responsibilities could include the following:
- Assisting in the design and undertaking of surveys and site investigations
- Data analysis of survey results
- Conducting desk studies, including qualitative and quantitative risk assessments
- Preparation of clear and concise reports
- Managing delivery and budgets on small scale projects
- Liaising with clients
- Preparation of bids and tenders
- Planning your workload so that you can deliver on time or ahead of target
- You will contribute towards both statutory and non-statutory impact assessments, technical reports, environmental strategies, corporate reporting and prepare documents for submission within the planning system.
What we look for
We encourage our Graduate Consultants to demonstrate drive and motivation, a thorough understanding of our sector, and a desire to effectively deliver an excellent technical service to our clients. With a busy, diverse team, we seek individuals who can work flexibly and respond to the needs of our clients. As such, we are looking for the following general qualifications, skills, and attributes in you:
- Enthusiasm for a career in Environmental Consulting, underpinned through a knowledge and deep interest in the built and natural environment
- Ambition to further their professional development and work towards achieving Chartership
- Good planning and organisational skills
- Adaptability and versatility to work across and with many environmental, engineering and design disciplines
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in writing and verbally
- Good reasoning and analytical skills
- Demonstrate initiative and a creative approach to problem solving
- The aptitude to work on your own initiative
- Work or voluntary experience within a relevant field
- Recognise the importance of client care and your role in contributing towards it
- Possess a strong working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel, with experience of Geographical Information Systems (GIS) software and Photoshop would also be an advantage
What we offer
There are infinite possibilities when you join Arup. You’ll receive all the opportunities that come with a challenging, fulfilling career, including:
- A competitive salary and welcome bonus
- Profit share scheme
- A comprehensive benefits package, including a flexible benefits fund and a generous pension
- An interesting and varied workload where you’ll make a tangible difference to the world
- The opportunity to work on projects across the UK and potentially internationally
- A challenging workload that will stretch your mind and make the most of your skills
- A collaborative, intelligent and friendly team in an excellent working environment
- The support you need to develop your career through professional accreditation and training
The deadline for applications is 14th November 2017 and assessment centres will commence in December 2017. Our week-long Graduate Welcome Event will take place in September 2018. Whilst on occasion we may be flexible with our start dates, we would ask that the successful candidates join their peers for this event.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!