Graduate Engineer – Building Performance and Systems
At Arup, we design and deliver groundbreaking icons through our work in infrastructure, building design and specialist technical services. Independent in ownership and spirit, we’re a global firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical experts who use our skills to make a positive difference in the world.
Building Performance and Systems
Understanding building performance is increasingly important to our clients. We apply our expertise to help our clients reduce energy consumption and carbon emissions from their buildings, while improving the comfort and wellbeing of the building occupants leading to reduced costs and improved productivity.
We are unique in the market as a multi-disciplinary team who evaluate, optimise and improve the operational performance of all building types. This requires our engineers to develop a broad understanding of the factors that influence and impact building performance, including everything from building management and control systems, data analytics, mechanical and electrical systems, commissioning and occupational science, including post occupancy evaluation. Increasingly we are also asked to measure and control parameters to improve health and wellbeing.
Our work means that we get involved in a wide range of projects in many sectors including the Queensferry Crossing, The Crick Institute, the Victoria and Albert Museum and The Shard.
About the role
Right now we’re looking for Graduate Engineers to join our team of bright professionals our Glasgow, London and Manchester offices. From your first day, you’ll join an unrivalled community of Building Performance Practitioners and a global Arup network of experts with similar interests; where everyone is supported in their career path and encouraged to work towards a professional qualification.
You will have the opportunity to become involved in other areas of our work and be interested in developing associated control system design, levering new and emerging technologies, occupational science, mechanical and/or electrical engineering skills.
Your role will be to undertake both design and evaluation/analysis work with the building performance and building engineering design teams. You will interact with external clients, design engineers, building operators and facilities management staff on projects in diverse sectors including property, energy, industry and transport.
You will gain a thorough understanding of the role of an engineer, become experienced with sophisticated software tools and visit sites while working towards becoming a chartered engineer.
- Conduct building performance evaluation
- Use a variety of analysis tools and techniques
- Carry out design and field research
- Site visits
- Writing reports and preparing presentations
- Attend meetings with clients
The candidate will follow Arup’s engineering institution accredited graduate training scheme.
What we look for
We’re looking for graduates with curiosity, personal drive and technical knowhow. If you can combine these skills with an understanding of (or willingness to learn about) the industry and a desire to deliver excellent services for clients, we’d like to hear from you.
We’re looking for the following qualifications, attributes and skills:
- Masters level degree in engineering science, mechanical, electrical or building services engineering, mechatronics or computer science with a prediction of 2:1/60% or higher.
- A strong interest in the built environment, and the application of first principles engineering techniques to inform design process and optimise/improve in-use operation of buildings.
- An awareness of, and interest in, digital technology and the Internet of Things (IoT) in the built environment.
- A related post-graduate qualification (i.e. in human factors, ergonomics), would be advantageous.
What we offer
There are infinite possibilities when you join Arup. You’ll receive all the opportunities that come with a challenging, fulfilling career, including:
A competitive salary and welcome bonus
Profit share scheme
- A comprehensive benefits package, including a flexible benefits fund and a generous pension
- An interesting and varied workload where you’ll make a tangible difference to the world
- A collaborative, intelligent and friendly team in an excellent working environment
- A challenging workload that will stretch your mind and make the most of your skills
- The support you need to develop your career through professional accreditation and training
The deadline for applications is 14th November 2017, and assessments will follow shortly after. Our Graduate Welcome Week will take place in September 2018. Although we can be flexible on start dates we would hope that the successful candidate will join their peers for this event.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!