Graduate Energy Analyst/Modeller
At Arup, we are passionate about designing and delivering ground-breaking work in infrastructure, building design and specialist technical services. Independent in ownership and spirit, we are a global firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical experts using our skills to help shape a better world.
Our Energy, Climate Change and Cities Consulting team in London is a multi-disciplinary team of engineers, policy experts and environmental scientists who focus on the challenges and opportunities of energy, climate change and cities. Our areas of business include:
- Modelling of energy, emissions and related data to inform climate change and sustainability strategies for cities, institutions and the private sector.
- Modelling of distributed energy systems such as district heating, power generation (including renewables), storage (both electrical and thermal) and microgrids.
- Energy masterplanning, including techno-economic analysis, feasibility assessment of low carbon distributed energy systems.
- Research and analysis of climate change mitigation, adaptation and resilience interventions at the city scale, drawing on both qualitative and quantitative data.
- Multi-disciplinary strategic planning, policy analysis and advisory for cities, drawing on robust evidence bases and tools.
- Technical advice for investors and developers on low carbon energy investments including business case, commercialisation and procurement.
The diverse nature of the work we do means that you will be working for a variety of clients, on projects across a wide range of markets, including philanthropic organisations focused on low carbon and climate resilient development; international financial institutions, banks and other investors; developers; local governments; and utilities, among others.
Our work is grounded in rigorous analysis and informed by engineering, economic, policy and governance perspectives.
About the role
We have opportunities for a Graduate Energy Analyst / Modeller to join our team of bright professionals in London. Arup has an unrivalled community of multidisciplinary experts, where you will be supported and mentored in your career path and encouraged to work towards a professional qualification. Your day to day tasks may include:
- Gathering, processing and interpreting data from a wide variety of sources to advise our clients.
- Developing and programming across a range of modelling environments (e.g. Python, R, Matlab).
- Testing and version control of code.
- Assessing and driving forward the development of our existing models.
- Co-ordinating work with engineers, economists and other specialists.
- Research into low carbon energy system innovation and related aspects of cities, resilience and climate change.
- Assessing carbon reduction benefits of a variety of technology options
- Commercial analysis and financial modelling
- Supporting the project managers on project management and administration.
- Keeping up to date with technical and policy developments in the energy, climate change and cities sectors.
- Contribute to project delivery design advice supporting senior colleagues
- Producing well written reports in clear English
- Preparing high quality diagrams and presentations
- Contributing to presentations
- Supporting the development of proposals for new commissions
- Participating in the on-going group research activities
- Organising internal and external events
What we look for
We are looking for graduates with enthusiasm, curiosity, personal drive, technical knowhow and an ability to communicate clearly and persuasively. If you can combine these skills with an understanding of (or willingness to learn about) the energy and climate change consulting sector and a desire to deliver excellent services for clients, we would like to hear from you.
We are looking for the following qualifications, attributes and skills:
- A first degree or higher in engineering, physics, maths, computer science with a prediction of 2:1 or higher
- A commitment to a low carbon future
- A self-starter, interested in applying your skills across a broad range of tasks and projects, working in collaboration with many different specialists
Skills and experience:
- Excellent interpersonal, numerical, written, analytical and research skills
- Have work experience, gained either through summer or industrial placements, or other relevant experience (e.g. voluntary work, research or university project work)
- Communicating technical information and issues to non-technical audiences
- Advanced Excel skills
- Experience using modelling, simulation and analysis software packages
- Experience coding, and in particular experience of Python, R or Matlab is desirable.
Experience of, or interest in, some of the following would be an advantage:
- EnergyPRO, ArcGIS, DIgSILENT, ETAP, IES, NetSim, SPSS, or similar.
- An interest in the technology and policy side of sustainability and the environment, as well as national and local energy generation, transmission and distribution systems infrastructure and their operations and legislation
- An interest in new technologies, continual learning and applying research
What we offer
There are infinite possibilities when you join Arup. You’ll receive all the opportunities that come with a challenging, fulfilling career, including:
- A competitive salary and welcome bonus
- Profit share scheme
- A comprehensive benefits package, including a flexible benefits fund and a generous pension
- An interesting and varied workload where you’ll make a tangible difference to the world
- The opportunity to work on international projects
- A challenging workload that will stretch your mind and make the most of your skills
- A collaborative, intelligent and friendly team in an excellent working environment The support you need to develop your career through professional accreditation and training
The deadline for applications is 14th November 2017 and assessment centres will commence in December 2017. Our week-long Graduate Welcome Event will take place in September 2018. Whilst on occasion we may be flexible with our start dates, we would ask that the successful candidates join their peers for this event.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!