Graduate Civil Engineer - Rail - UK-wide
At Arup, we design and deliver groundbreaking icons through our work in infrastructure, building design and specialist technical services. Independent in ownership and spirit, we’re a global firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical experts who use our skills to make a positive difference in the world.
With our global reach and multi-disciplinary approach, Arup is involved in major rail projects in the UK and worldwide. With over 20 years of rail planning, design and construction experience, we offer our clients a broad spectrum of consulting services including, but not limited to, the following:
- Strategic advice
- Cost, demand and revenue forecasting
- Business case analysis
- Feasibility studies
- Asset management
- Detailed design
- Implementation and commissioning
- Project creation
We aim to offer our clients a complete service regardless of the project type, and have therefore developed experience in many sectors including light rail, mass transit, heavy rail, high speed rail, guided buses, stations, depots, and freight and distribution centres.
About the role
Right now we’re looking for Graduate Civil Engineers to join our team of bright professionals in our Solihull and Manchester offices. From your first day, you’ll join an unrivalled community of experts, where everyone is supported in their career path and encouraged to work towards a professional qualification.
You’ll help us to deliver effective and professional services for a range of varied and high-profile clients. While you’ll have a great deal of responsibility from day one, we’ll give you the chance to take on more as you progress and broaden your skills.
Due to the nature of our work you will have the opportunity to gain a broad range of experience, including feasibility studies, site investigation, preliminary and detailed design, and liaison with clients, contractors and third parties. Projects will be allocated to you, ranging in scale, duration and design stage, providing you with a diverse working environment.
Typical responsibilities could include:
- Site surveys
- Technical report writing
- Produce construction drawings
- Undertaking design
- Feasibility studies
- Design calculations
- Planning and procurement of site investigation works
- Client and stakeholder engagement activity
- Collaborating with other rail system designers
- Supporting internal clients such as other sectors within Arup
Our rail team provide expert technical advice to both UK and internationally-based clients, ensuring you develop a variety of experience as you progress your career with us.
What we look for
We’re looking for graduates with curiosity, personal drive and technical knowhow. If you can combine these skills with an understanding of (or willingness to learn about) the Rail sector and a desire to deliver excellent services for clients, we’d like to hear from you.
We’re looking for the following qualifications, attributes and skills:
- Minimum of a Bachelors degree in Civil Engineering, at 2.1 or above
- Modules in rail or transport would be advantageous
- Studying, or have studied, an ICE accredited course
- Preference for grade B or above in A-Level Mathematics
- Possess a strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office, particularly Excel
- An understanding of CAD is an advantage
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Understand the needs of your clients
- Strong numerical skills
- Be planned and organised in your approach to work and meeting deadlines
- An ability to work collaboratively with colleagues and other professionals
- Enthusiasm for a career in rail, underpinned through a knowledge and understanding of our sector and work
- Appreciation of the rail system (Electrification & Plant, Track, Drainage, Signalling, Structures)
- Demonstrates a creative and analytical approach to problem solving
- Ability to think holistically and consider the wider implications of your decisions
- The aptitude to work on your own initiative and be proactive
- Be flexible to the needs of the business, and changes to project plans
- Be dedicated to the delivery of projects, and the development of the team and business as a whole
What we offer
There are infinite possibilities when you join Arup. You’ll receive all the opportunities that come with a challenging, fulfilling career, including:
- A competitive salary and welcome bonus
- Profit share scheme
- A comprehensive package, including a flexible benefits fund and a generous pension
- Opportunities to work on international projects through our Early Development Scholarship (after a qualifying period)
- An interesting and varied workload where you’ll make a tangible difference to the world
- A collaborative, intelligent and friendly team in an excellent working environment
- A challenging workload that will stretch your mind and make the most of your skills
- The support you need to develop your career through professional accreditation and training
We have opportunities in our Belfast, Bristol, Manchester and Solihull offices. The deadline for applications is 14th November 2017 and assessments will take place soon after. The Graduate Welcome Week will take place in September 2018. Although we can be flexible on start dates we would hope that the successful candidates will join their peers for this event.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!