Graduate Civil Engineer - Maritime - London
At Arup, we design and deliver groundbreaking icons through our work in infrastructure, building design and specialist technical services. Independent in ownership and spirit, we’re a global firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical experts who use our skills to make a positive difference in the world.
We bring inventive, trusted solutions to the complex challenges of maritime environments. Changes in global trade, sea level rise and stretched resources mean that ports, coastal industry and communities must constantly adapt. To meet the challenge of adaptation, we bring specialist understanding to the entire range and lifecycle of maritime structures, infrastructure and projects.
Whether guiding a client from concept to realisation, or focusing on a tight brief, our maritime engineers are involved in masterplanning, due diligence and feasibility studies, inspections and assessments, consents, engineering design, project management, construction supervision and more.
About the role
Right now we’re looking for Graduate Engineers to join our team of bright professionals in our Maritime team in London. From your first day, you’ll join an unrivalled community of experts, where everyone is supported in their career path and encouraged to work towards a professional qualification
You’ll help us to deliver effective and professional services for a range of varied and high-profile clients. While you’ll have a great deal of responsibility from day one, we’ll give you the chance to take on more as you progress and broaden your skills.
You will be working in a multi-disciplinary office, preparing designs in co-ordination with their team as well as external clients for projects across a wide range of markets.
You will gain a thorough understanding of the role of a maritime engineer, using relevant software programmes and visiting sites to see the work undertaken while at the same time working towards the goal of becoming a Chartered Engineer.
- Analysis and design of civil infrastructure and structures in the coastal environment
- Design calculations
- Technical report writing
- Supervision of drawing production
- Site visits
- Participate in client and design team meetings
What we look for
We’re looking for graduates with curiosity, personal drive and technical knowhow. If you can combine these skills with an understanding of (or willingness to learn about) the Maritime sector and a desire to deliver excellent services for clients, we’d like to hear from you.
We’re looking for the following qualifications, attributes and skills:
- Master’s degree in one of the following subjects with a prediction or attainment of 2:1 or higher - Civil, Environmental, General, Geotechnical, Maritime, Offshore or Structural Engineering, or Engineering Science
- A Levels (or equivalent) in Maths and/or Physics (Grade B or higher)
- Strong numerical skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to multi task and work in multidisciplinary teams
- Strong understanding of coastal processes, geotechnics and structures and associated assessment techniques
- Possess a strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office, particularly Excel
- Understand the needs of your clients
- An ability using CAD is an advantage
- An understanding of marine modelling and/or structural analysis packages is an advantage
- Be planned and organised in your approach to work and meeting deadlines
- Enthusiasm for a career in Maritime, underpinned through a knowledge and understanding of our sector and work
- Demonstrate a creative approach to problem solving
- The aptitude to work on your own initiative and be proactive
- Be flexible to the needs of the business, and changes to project plans
- Be dedicated to the delivery of projects, and the development of the team and business as a whole
What we offer
There are infinite possibilities when you join Arup. You’ll receive all the opportunities that come with a challenging, fulfilling career, including:
- A competitive salary and welcome bonus
- Profit share scheme
- A comprehensive package, including a flexible benefits fund and a generous pension
- An interesting and varied workload where you’ll make a tangible difference to the world
- Opportunities to work on international projects through our Early Development Scholarship (after a qualifying period)
- A collaborative, intelligent and friendly team in an excellent working environment
- A challenging workload that will stretch your mind and make the most of your skills
- The support you need to develop your career through professional accreditation and training
The deadline for applications is 14th November 2017 and assessments will take place shortly after.
Our Graduate Welcome Week will take place in September 2018. Although we can be flexible on start dates we would hope that the successful candidate will join their peers for induction.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!