Graduate Energy Engineer - Buildings - London
At Arup, we design and deliver ground-breaking icons through our work in infrastructure, building design and specialist technical services. Independent in ownership and spirit, we are a global firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical experts who use our skills to make a positive difference in the world.
Our Energy Engineers apply their specialist skills to a range of different projects. We offer our clients a broad spectrum of expertise and consulting services in, but not limited to, the following types of developments:
- Sports facilities
- Transport projects
- Large-scale industrial and manufacturing facilities
- Mixed-use commercial developments
- City and large-scale campus master plans
As one of the world’s leading building design consultancies, we offer clients the innovation and technical know-how to continually deliver their projects on schedule and on budget, but without compromise.
About the role
We are currently recruiting for a Graduate Energy Engineer to join our team of bright professionals in our London office. From your first day, you’ll join an unrivalled community of experts, where everyone is supported in their career path and encouraged to work towards a professional qualification.
You will help us to deliver effective and professional services for a range of varied and high-profile clients. While you will have a great deal of responsibility from day one, we’ll give you the chance to take on more as you progress and broaden your skills.
Within the specialist energy team you could be asked to undertake work on any of the flowing aspects of the building design process:
- Energy strategies and master plans
- Concept and detailed energy centre and energy systems designs
- Building performance modelling for permitting and energy budgeting purposes
- Technology assessments
- Commercial modelling and options appraisals
- Environmental modelling
Typical daily tasks could include:
- Preparing energy models and running simulations
- Preparing schedules for equipment specifications
- Sizing of distribution systems
- Production of drawings
- Technical report writing
- Site visits
- Attendance and participation in stakeholder meetings
- Use of Revit and 3D modelling software in the production of designs
- Client, supplier and/or contractor liaison
You will provide support to team members to deliver an effective and professional service to our clients. Due to the multi-disciplinary nature of our design teams, you will have the opportunity to work alongside experts in the following fields: Mechanical Engineers, Electrical Engineers, Controls Engineers, Public Health Engineers, Fire Engineers, Acousticians, Surveyors and Project Managers.
What we look for
We are looking for graduates with curiosity, personal drive and technical knowhow. If you can combine these skills with an understanding of (or willingness to learn about) the buildings and energy sectors, and a desire to deliver excellent services for clients, we would like to hear from you.
We are looking for the following qualifications, skills and attributes in you:
- Minimum of a Master’s degree in Mechanical, Building Services, Energy or Chemical Engineering at 2.1 or above
- Studying, or have studied, an EI, IMechE, IChemE, or CIBSE accredited course
- Preference for grade B or above in A-Level Maths, but not essential
- Strive for excellence
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrate attention to detail and be accurate in your work
- An understanding of government energy subsidies and incentives (ROCs, RHIs, CfDs etc.) is an advantage, but not essential
- An interest in optimising building energy use, improving plant and system efficiencies, and reducing the use of fossil fuels
- Be planned and organised in your approach to work and meeting deadlines
- Enthusiasm for a career in energy design, underpinned through a knowledge and understanding of our sector and work
- Have an analytical thought process and demonstrate a creative approach to problem solving
- Enjoy working as part of a close-knit team
- Seek to improve existing ways of working, by finding efficiencies in processes
- The aptitude to work on your own initiative and be proactive
- Be flexible to the needs of the business, and changes to project plans
What we offer
There are infinite possibilities when you join Arup. You will receive all the opportunities that come with a challenging, fulfilling career, including:
- A competitive salary and settling in allowance
- Profit share scheme
- A comprehensive benefits package, including a flexible benefits fund and highly competitive pension
- An interesting and varied workload
- The opportunity to work on international projects
- Technically challenging projects that will stretch and challenge your skills
- A supportive and friendly team, based in an excellent working environment
- Support towards professional accreditation and career development opportunities
- High quality training in a wide range of relevant areas
The deadline for applications is 14th November 2017, and interviews will take place shortly after. Our Graduate Welcome Week will take place in September 2018. Although we can be flexible on start dates we would hope that the successful candidate will join their peers for this event.
Please note that we are unable to offer Tier 2 visa sponsorship for this role. Therefore you must ensure that you are eligible to work in the UK without our sponsorship in order for your application to be considered.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!