Graduate Environmental Services Engineer - Buildings
Arup is one of the world’s leading building design consultancies with a project portfolio that is second to none. We design and deliver ground-breaking icons through our work in infrastructure, building design and specialist technical services.
Arup is an independent firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical specialists offering a broad range of professional services. Through our work, we make a positive difference in the world. Our engineers operate in an environment where collaboration and innovation go hand-in-hand to deliver cutting-edge solutions to problems and world-class projects.
Well-designed water supply and waste drainage systems are essential to successful, healthy and sustainable buildings. Arup’s environmental services engineers (also known as public health engineers) tackle diverse challenges. Additionally, on some projects, our public health engineers also carry out civil engineering tasks such as below ground drainage design, flood risk assessments and specialist road and pavement designs along with associated earthworks required for new and existing building construction. The design of sustainable water management systems helps save water and the energy associated with its use, from pumping to heating. From sustainable drainage systems (SuDS) to water reuse, our expertise helps clients to make better use of water and energy and to make their buildings and sites more resilient.
What you’ll be doing
You will be working in a multi-disciplinary office with structural, mechanical and electrical engineers and specialists such as fire and acoustic engineers, preparing designs in coordination with their team as well as external architects, surveyors, contractors and clients for projects across a wide range of markets.
Typical responsibilities include:
- Determining water use strategies for making the best use of potable and non-potable water sources
- Design and calculations for drainage, gas and fire systems, and domestic hot water including solar hot water systems
- Producing design models and drawings using Revit and other 3D modelling software
- Attending and participating in stakeholder meetings
- Developing strategies for the reduction of instantaneous surface water discharges
You will gain a thorough understanding of the role of a design engineer, using relevant software design programmes and visiting sites to see the work undertaken while at the same time working towards the goal of becoming a Chartered Engineer.
What we look for
We encourage our Graduate Environmental Services Engineers to demonstrate drive and motivation, a willingness to learn about our sector, and a desire to effectively meet our clients’ goals.
What we offer
There are infinite possibilities when you join Arup. You’ll receive all the opportunities that come with a challenging, fulfilling career, including:
- The opportunity to work on some of the world’s greatest projects with technical challenges that will stretch and challenge your skills
- Training and support towards professional accreditation and career development opportunities
- A competitive salary and welcome bonus
- Profit share scheme
- A comprehensive package, including a flexible benefits fund and a generous pension
- Opportunities to work on international projects
- An interesting and varied workload where you’ll make a tangible difference to the world
- A collaborative, intelligent and friendly team in an excellent working environment
- Various sports and social activities in all our locations