Buildings and Infrastructure - Graduate Development Programme 2017
Our buildings and infrastructure team designs iconic buildings, provides cutting-edge engineering solutions and breathes new life into existing structures. We design with people in mind. And we’ve designed our graduate opportunities to provide you with unique experiences as you play your part in all kinds of challenging projects.
Who we are
One of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies, we’re driven to ask ‘why’ and make the world a better place – today and tomorrow. Join our design and engineering team and you’ll share our pride in creating vibrant designs and sustainable built environments that work for all. You’ll help us deliver innovative solutions for schools, railway stations, airports, power stations and more.
At Atkins we offer a world of opportunities from the projects you’ll work on to the directions you can take your career in. Whatever your ambitions we’ve a role to match your passion and degree, while our training will help you achieve Chartered status and develop industry skills that are highly sought after.
What you’ll be doing
Learning to become a future business leader you’ll join one of the following teams:
Building services – With a Master’s or Bachelor’s degree in building services, electrical engineering or mechanical engineering, you’ll develop your skills working on different building and infrastructure projects. Collaborating with a diverse range of people, you’ll carry out building services system inspections and heating ventilation and air conditioning design (HVAC). You’ll also prepare a variety of reports, contract documents and project designs, assessment calculations and drawings.
- Building surveying - With a Bachelor’s degree in building surveying, you’ll work on a variety of construction related and property inspection/maintenance projects. Undertaking building and site surveys, you’ll get the opportunity to develop your CAD skills preparing project specifications and design drawings.
- Cities and infrastructure - With a Master’s degree in civil engineering, you’ll work on a variety of projects in the UK and beyond. Our civil engineering team creates all kinds of designs from airports, airfields and marinas to power stations, private developments and industrial facilities. You could even find yourself producing specialist blast, structure and heavy civil engineering designs.
- Engineering technology (structural and mechanical integrity) - With a Master’s degree in mechanical or civil engineering, you’ll get involved in a variety of fields from structural dynamics and seismic engineering to stress, thermal and fatigue analysis. Our engineering technology team specialises in advanced computer-based structural and dynamic analysis, we use finite element analysis software to predict the behaviour of civil, structural and mechanical hardware.
- Fire engineering - With a Master’s degree in fire engineering you’ll support educational projects, major airport developments and the creation of fire safety solutions for new nuclear power stations. Developing complex fire models and fire protection system specifications, you’ll also carry out fire risk assessments and evacuation analysis.
- Physical security - This team specialises in the following; Hard Physical Security (e.g. Vehicle Dynamics Assessments), Electronic Security (e.g. CCTV and ANPR) and Operational Security (e.g. Masterplanning). Applications will be considered from graduates with a variety of degree disciplines including; criminology, security studies, civil and electrical engineering.
- Structural engineering - With a Master’s degree in civil or structural engineering, you’ll create innovative, high quality structural engineering designs on time and to budget. Working alongside our architects and building services engineers, you’ll help to deliver multidisciplinary design services for a variety of building projects.
Who we’re looking for
- Talented graduates with/expecting a 2.2 or above MEng/MSc degree (or equivalent) in a relevant subject. We will also consider graduates with/expecting a 2.1 or above BEng/BSc in building surveying, electrical and building services engineering disciplines
- The flexibility to work in different locations
- Ability to apply your technical knowledge to analyse problems and create innovative solutions
- Excellent communicator who enjoys working as part of multidisciplinary teams
- Ambition, vision, enthusiasm and the drive to keep on developing your technical skills and achieve Chartered status
- Ideally some design or site experience gained on a work placement.
Where you’ll be
- Building services - Bristol, Colchester, Epsom, Exeter or London
- Building surveying - Newcastle or Warrington
- Civil engineering - Epsom or London
- Engineering technology (structural and mechanical integrity) - Epsom
- Fire engineering - Epsom
- Physical security - London
- Structural engineering - Bristol, Epsom, Glasgow, Leeds, London, Oxford or Warrington.
Please clearly state on your application the role and location you’re applying for.
Closing date for applications; Wednesday 21st December 2016. NB: Some of our programmes are incredibly popular, to avoid disappointment please make your application as soon as possible.
Assessment centre dates: Taking place between October and December 2016.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!