Transportation - Civil and Structural Engineering Graduate Scheme (2018)
Atkins Transportation is a leading supplier of engineering services to government, regulatory and local authorities, infrastructure owners and operators. Our world class team of professionals have extensive skills and expertise across the Transportation sector, which are applied at every stage of projects from feasibility through to detailed design, construction and whole life asset management. These include the design of new bridges, renewal/maintenance of the operational network and its assets, delivery of new highways schemes and highways improvements, permanent way alignment and the civil engineering aspects of rail networks.
We’ve designed our graduate opportunities to provide you with unique experiences as you play your part in all kinds of challenging transportation projects such as HS2, Birmingham New Street Station, Dubai Metro and the Design Build Finance & Operate (DBFO) of the M25.
What you’ll be doing
Working as a Graduate Engineer, you’ll be responsible for;
- Developing your engineering skills and experience across a variety of rail and highways projects
- Delivering solutions to engineering problems
- Preparing design documentation, including sketches, drawings, calculations, reports and specifications
- Working collaboratively with others to deliver projects to our clients
- Ensuring tasks are carried out within agreed timescales and budgets
- Comply with Quality, Safety and Environmental legislation and procedures
Where you’ll be based
Atkins Transportation have teams based across the UK:
- Scotland & NI - Belfast, Edinburgh, Glasgow
- North – Manchester, Stockton, Warrington, York
- Midlands – Birmingham, Derby
- South East – Cambridge, Chelmsford, Croydon, Dartford (CPS), Epsom, Leatherhead (CPS), South Mimms (CPS)
- South West – Bristol, Cardiff, Swindon, Swansea
Connect Plus Services (CPS):
Please note for our Dartford, Leatherhead and South Mimms requirement you will be working for our Connect Plus Services forward programme of structures work. They are involved in a diverse range of work on the M25 network from overseeing the structures asset inventory, carrying out inspections and planning and prioritising essential work programmes. Acting as a Graduate Engineer or Graduate Project Manager you will be working with Highways England and Connect Plus as primary clients.
Who we’re looking for
We’re looking for someone who enjoys an engineering challenge and finding a solution, to ensure our teams always deliver great things for our clients and the end user. We expect you to have:
- Achieved or on track to achieve a bachelor’s (2.1 or above) or masters (2.2 or above) in Civil or Structural Engineering
- Good understanding of engineering principles
- Excellent communication skills to enable you to work with multidisciplinary teams
- Motivation to learn from your experiences and those around you, with determination to achieve Chartered Status
- A flexible approach to travel as our projects and training may take you to a variety of locations in the UK and possibly abroad
- Prepared to undergo a medical assessment, where necessary for undertaking work on site
Rewards & Benefits
Our 3-year flexible graduate scheme promises to give you the support you need to develop your technical, commercial and consultancy skills. Some of our benefits, to name a few, include;
- A settling in payment of £2,500 when you join – paid within your first month salary
- Continuous support and mentoring to achieve chartered status with your chosen institution, funded by Atkins. With a chartership bonus of £2,500 once obtained
- A robust career development plan, including a library of core learning modules and on the job technical training
- 25 days’ annual leave, plus bank holidays, with the option to buy up to 15 additional days leave per year
- 2 volunteer days per year for you to use for a cause that matters to you
- Local graduate forums & a strong graduate network across all locations
- Annual events, such as our 2-day graduate induction, ski trips, away weekends, team building activities
For further details please visit the rewards and benefits page on our website.
How to apply
Our deadline for applications is the Monday 18th December 2017. Some of our programmes are incredibly popular, to avoid disappointment (where some roles may close earlier) we recommend you apply as soon as possible.
For further details on our recruitment process please visit the how to apply page on our website.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!