Graduate Systems and Technology Engineer, UAE
Atkins is one of the world's leading rail engineers. We have established a high profile presence in the Middle East through our role as Lead Designer on the Dubai Metro project and the Rail Systems designer on the Makkah Metro in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and also Preliminary Designer for Etihad Rail in Abu Dhabi.
There are also many other transportation and infrastructure opportunities in UAE, Qatar, KSA, Oman and Kuwait that Atkins are actively pursuing and the successfully applicant will have the opportunity to be involved in these new projects throughout the Middle East.
We are seeking a Systems Engineering Graduate (Communications/Telecommunications bias) to provide support to consultancy services to an extensive internal and external client base. This role requires a good technical background in a multi-disciplinary environment ideally within the rail and or communications industry. The successful applicant will be a team member also contributing to large scale urban rail projects and or communications projects throughout the Middle East. The person will also assisting developing business by increasing the current client base and furthering client relationships through identifying opportunities for future works and services.
While initially assigned to a specific project, the role will support the Core Team to further support Atkins in future projects within the region.
- Working either as a member of our multi-disciplinary project teams delivering technical services to clients or as an integral part of the Core Team, you will be undertaking a range of technical and project orientated tasks associated with the scoping, design and development of complex rail infrastructure systems. In particular, you will be an integral part of our plans to grow our Systems Engineering services in our highly successful Transport Engineering Consultancy business.
- You will work closely with other Atkins sector Business Managers and Engineering Managers to identify and exploit opportunities, develop propositions and advise on the development of our future service offering in this key business area.
- You will provide mentorship and knowledge transfer to other suitable Atkins staff on the application of Systems Engineering techniques.
- You will develop internal processes and practices in support of Systems Engineering across all disciplines.
- You will assist in the development of internal practices in support of Rail Integration across all disciplines.
- Bachelor of Engineering (Systems, Commuications/Telecommunications).
- Minimum of 3.2 GPA or equivalent
- Minimum of 6 months experience (no more than 2 years experience) within the rail industry in a systems or communications role.
- Member of appropriate professional institution(s) or working towards.
- Experience of Rail Systems including systems assurance, system processed, safety critical analysis, communications and software
- Able to apply 'Systems Thinking' to problems at technical, project and enterprise levels.
- Able to communicate clearly and directly with people both verbally and in writing.
- Understanding of service delivery in accordance with ISO/IEC 15288.
- Understanding of Systems Assurance processes and requirements
- Experience of System Integration and interface management of complex transportation schemes.
- Experience of developing system specifications (e.g. Performance, Functional, Architecture, Interface)
- Knowledge of system approval processes and bodies.
- Analytical mindset with excellent verbal/ written communication (interfacing with non-specialist technical team members);
- Willingness to work in a collaborative environment involving the client and flexible enough to carry out any tasks required to complete Systems Engineering deliverables.
- Prepared and able to travel throughout the Middle East and India.
- Middle East or other offshore experience will be highly regarded
- Experience in Heavy Haul Freight and High Speed Passenger railways, Metro and other Guided Transport Systems (e.g. APM, Tram, Monorail)
- Use of Requirements Management and Configuration Management tools (DOORS preferably)
- Presentation skills
- Bid evaluation and tendering experience for works and services.
- A Graduate Systems Engineer with experience in the Rail industry and project lifecycle management from a Systems Engineering perspective.
- Knowledge and experience of the conduct of Systems Engineering methods, processes and techniques as applied to complex rail projects.
- Demonstrate sound relationship-building skills with both clients and staff and an ability to influence and coach others.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Customer service orientation.
- Good computer skills in MS Office and specialised software tools.
- Self time management to meet tight delivery requirements.
- Flexible attitude to balance work load and deadlines.
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development courses designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through and annual appraisal process. We actively support staff in achieving corporate membership of relevant institutions.
Salary & Benefits:
We offer an excellent package which includes:
- A competitive salary
- 22 working days annual leave
- Medical and life insurance cover
- Company gratuity scheme
- Discretionary bonus scheme
- Annual flight allowance to point of origin
- Employee Well-Being Programme – 24 hour free advice on financial, legal and family care specialists and also access to personal health, fitness and nutrition consultant
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development courses designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents.
Apply and the Process:
Candidates will be screened based on the above criteria and contacted accordingly
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!