Infrastructure – Civil and Structural Engineering Graduate Scheme (2018)
As a Graduate Civil or Structural Engineer, you will help to support the technical aspects of civil engineering and multidisciplinary designs across a range of challenging and exciting projects in the UK and internationally.
Whether it’s an airport, a transport interchange, a university campus, a nuclear power station or the world’s first tidal lagoon, you’ll help us to deliver outstanding projects that respond to the needs and resources of a contemporary world. Whatever your ambitions we’ve a role to match your passion and degree, while our training will help you achieve Chartered status and develop industry skills that are highly sought after.
Join us in our vision to be the world’s best Infrastructure Consultancy, working with a broad range of clients to influence policy, future technology and global sustainability.
What you’ll be doing
As a Civil or Structural Engineering graduate, you’ll be joining one of the following teams:
Civil Engineering and Advanced Technology
Our Civil Engineering team creates all kinds of infrastructure systems, ranging from power supply, water and wastewater, marinas to power stations, private developments and industrial facilities. With a Master’s in civil engineering, you could get involved in the design of buildings and structures, tunnels, ports, dams, hydraulic systems, rail/road and nuclear infrastructure. You could even find yourself producing specialist blast or seismically classified heavy civil engineering designs.
We also offer exciting opportunities to work in one of two specialist areas (Please clearly state on your application if one of these is of specific interest):
Airport Planning/Airfield Engineering – With a Master’s in civil engineering or an air transport related degree, you’ll get involved in developing airport masterplans, undertaking airport planning studies and designs. The opportunity would suit a graduate with ambitions to work, or extend experience in the aviation industry through working in a consultancy that delivers excellence within the global aviation sector.
Engineering Technology – With a Master’s degree in civil or mechanical engineering, you’ll get involved in a variety of fields from structural dynamics and seismic engineering to stress, thermal and fatigue analysis. Our engineering technology team specialises in advanced computer-based structural and dynamic analysis using finite element analysis software to predict the behaviour of civil, structural and mechanical hardware.
Our Building Structures team provides technically excellent digital engineering solutions in the built environment. Our capabilities include the design of complex structures in steel, concrete, timber and other cutting-edge materials. With a Master’s in civil and/or structural engineering, you’ll get involved in detailed technical analysis, assessments and design on the most sensitive and complex structures in our industry. We design and deliver these services on a wide range of prestigious projects, in the Aviation, Cities and Development, Transport, Defence and Energy markets in the UK and internationally.
Rivers, Dams and Maritime
Our Rivers, Dams and Maritime team provides end to end infrastructure engineering to a diverse array of projects. Our services range from harnessing water’s true power from vast dam retaining structures and safely routing raging rivers through our towns, to taming the seas' effects on our coasts and ports. Here you’ll get the chance to apply your skills – maritime, civil, infrastructure or structural – in the delivery of our broad project work, of a national and international nature, enabling clients to manage their assets and operations more efficiently and safely through an integrated approach, bringing order into our changing world.
Our Ground Engineering team provides world class geotechnical and engineering geology services to infrastructure and global energy clients, focusing around the engineering behaviour of the ground for complex new build and asset life extension projects. You’ll get involved in a broad range of activities including site investigation, 3D ground modelling, geohazard & terrain evaluation, earth structures, foundation design and ground improvement, in both the onshore and offshore environments.
Tunnelling and Underground Space
Our Tunnelling and Underground Space team provides technically excellent engineering design of tunnelling, underground, and heavy infrastructure, particularly focused on mass transit, rail and major project programmes. Our team have expertise in assessment of ground movements, design of complex foundations and ‘ground-contacting’ structures, in addition to the assessment of ventilation and fire life safety aspects of utilising underground space. Here you’ll get the opportunity to take on a wide range of interesting activities, including site work, design, asset impact assessments, life cycle/risk assessments and project management.
Where you’ll be based
Atkins Infrastructure have teams based across the UK:
- Civil Engineering and Advanced Technology - Belfast, Birmingham, Bristol, Derby, Epsom, Glasgow, London, Warrington. Opportunities for the Engineering Technology or Airport Planning specialist areas will be based in Epsom.
- Building Structures - Epsom, London, Oxford
- Rivers, Dams and Maritime - Epsom/London, Glasgow, Peterborough, Swansea, Warrington
- Ground Engineering - Birmingham, Bristol, Cardiff, Derby, Epsom, Glasgow, Leeds, London, Warrington
- Tunnelling and Underground Space - Epsom, London
Who we’re looking for
- Talented graduates with/expecting a 2.2 or above MEng/MSc degree (or equivalent) in Civil or Structural Engineering
- For our Ground Engineering, Tunnelling and Underground Space opportunities, ideally a specialist Masters in Soil Mechanics, Engineering Geology, Geotechnical Engineering, Tunnel Engineering or a related subject
- Good written standard of English and oral communication abilities
- Ability to apply your technical knowledge to analyse problems and create innovative solutions
- Ambition, vision, enthusiasm and the drive to keep on developing your technical skills and achieve Chartered status
- Experience or an interest in developing the application of computer programming and other digital solutions to engineering problems
- Strong interpersonal and team working skills
- A flexible approach to travel as our projects and training may take you to a variety of locations in the UK and possibly abroad
- Ideally some design or site experience gained on a work placement.
Rewards and Benefits
Please refer to our website for further information.
How to apply
Our deadline for applications is Monday 18th December 2017. Some of our programmes are incredibly popular, to avoid disappointment (where some roles may close earlier) we recommend you apply as soon as possible. Please refer to our website for further information on our recruitment process.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!