Aerospace, Defence, Security and Technology - Geomatics & Geospatial Graduate Scheme (2018)
Who we are and what you’ll be doing
Within Atkins Geospatial we provide a range of services covering the full lifecycle of location based information from data acquisition, processing and spatial analysis to information and data management. Our drive is to deliver innovative, quality solutions to our clients to enable them to use data to make well informed decisions in a user friendly and intuitive environment. Our success lies in our integration across the Atkins businesses, collaborative WebGIS working in partnership with the engineering, environmental and design disciplines to ensure well-grounded services, with a deep understanding of both the built and natural environment.
The role of a GIS Graduate is an exciting and rewarding opportunity to gain experience in implementing GI solutions across disciplines throughout all parts of a project’s life cycle. You will be involved in:
- projects where we are advising and guiding internal and external clients on the best approach to take for a wide range of GI aspects from basic constraints mapping for our environment team
- 3D visualisation of a new pipeline route and creating viewshed maps for planning applications on small projects to large infrastructure projects
- supporting other Atkins work on large multi-disciplinary projects.
Within Atkins Geomatics we collect raw geospatial data using a wide variety of traditional and leading edge surveying and remote sensing technologies including UAVs, LiDAR and photogrammetry. We provide Geomatics services to small, medium and large projects from geodetic control survey, traditional ground survey, LiDAR/Laser Scanning survey (static, mobile and aerial), aerial photogrammetric survey (manned and unmanned) and all aspects of data processing. Our drive is to define innovative solutions in order to provide the highest quality 3D survey and mapping data products to our clients’ requirements. Our success lies in our experience across a wide range of data capture techniques and collaborative approach to defining the most appropriate survey methodology, working in partnership with disciplines from across the Atkins.
The role of a Geomatics Graduate is an exciting and rewarding opportunity to gain experience in implementing survey solutions across disciplines. You will be involved in:
- projects where we are advising internal and external clients on the best approach to take
- delivering surveys for a wide range of data capture requirements
- large aerial surveys of existing or for new infrastructure, UAV surveys, smaller as-built surveys for BIM modelling.
- Tasks could include: measuring photo control, laser scanning, post processing of aerial, UAV and laser scanning datasets, production and QA of deliverables including basic CAD outputs, orthophoto, ground models, 3D meshes, BIM models and visualisations.
- Data creation, collection and validation
- Information management
- Spatial analyses
- GIS web map creation and management
- Map production
There is an increasing overlap between Geomatics and the wider Geospatial team of which we are part, meaning there will be opportunities to work in a GIS environment and software
Collaboration is the key in Atkins and this means that you might be required to visit our Bangalore GIS team, spend time in the Middle East or work with our new Atkins North America business in the United States.
In order to be exposed to wider opportunities and gain a broader outlook of our work, you will be positively encouraged to work on a range of projects and in a variety of roles over the first three-year period.
What we’re looking for
Minimum of a Bachelors with a 2:1 classification.
We are keen to consider candidates from the following degree or masters course disciplines:
- Geographical Information Systems
- Land Survey
- LiDAR and Laser Scanning
- Aerial Survey including UAV
- Geographic Information Systems
Where you’ll be based
Birmingham, Bristol or London, although you’ll need to be UK mobile based on project requirements.
Want to learn more about who we are, our graduates and what makes their life at Atkins so great? Click here to understand more about our culture and let us show you what life #InsideAtkins is all about!
Rewards and Benefits
Atkins offers a competitive salary which will be discussed with you at offer stage. You can find out more details about our rewards and benefits on our website.
How to apply
For details on the recruitment process, please check our website.
Initial closing date: Monday 18th December. Some of our programmes are incredibly popular and we may need to close the role early, to avoid disappointment please make your application as soon as possible.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!