Infrastructure - Ground Engineering, Tunnelling and Underground Space Placements (2018)
As an Engineering Geologist, Geotechnical or Tunneling Engineer undergraduate, we can offer you a Summer placement where you could be involved in one of the most exciting sectors in civil and environmental engineering.
With an impressive portfolio of prestigious and diverse geotechnical projects worldwide, you could help us to design and construct new and innovative infrastructure (such as mass transit systems, tunnelling and power supply), geohazard, underground storage and offshore geotechnics. Together we share knowledge and create a better, more sustainable future for all by safeguarding our natural resources. We offer a world of opportunities from the projects you’ll work on, to the directions you can take your career in.
Join us in our vision to be the world’s best Infrastructure Consultancy, working with a broad range of clients to influence policy and future technology.
What you’ll be doing
As a Summer placement student, you’ll be joining one of the following teams:
Our Ground Engineering team provides world class geotechnical and engineering geology services to infrastructure and global energy clients, focusing around the engineering behaviour of the ground for complex new build and asset life extension projects. You’ll get involved in a broad range of activities including site investigation, 3D ground modelling, geohazard & terrain evaluation, earth structures, foundation design and ground improvement, in both the onshore and offshore environments.
Tunnelling and Underground Space
Our Tunnelling and Underground Space team provides technically excellent engineering design of tunnelling, underground, and heavy infrastructure, particularly focused on mass transit, rail and major project programmes. Our team have expertise in assessment of ground movements, design of complex foundations and ‘ground-contacting’ structures, in addition to the assessment of ventilation and fire life safety aspects of utilising underground space. Here you’ll get the opportunity to take on a wide range of interesting activities, including site work, design, asset impact assessments, life cycle/risk assessments and project management.
What we can offer you
We are offering Summer placements with our Ground Engineering and Tunneling teams in the below listed offices for 8 -12 weeks during summer 2018.
Where you’ll be based
Ground Engineering - Birmingham, Bristol, Cambridge, Cardiff, Derby, Epsom, Glasgow, Leeds, London, Warrington
Tunnelling and Underground Space - Epsom, London
Who we’re looking for
- Talented undergraduates studying towards a degree or above in Civil Engineering, Geotechnical Engineering, Engineering Geology. Or studying towards a specialist Masters in Soil Mechanics, Engineering Geology, Geotechnical Engineering, Tunnel Engineering
- Available to commit to a 8-12 week placement, and following this placement returning to full time education
- Confident working on your own initiative and as part of multidisciplinary teams
- A good communicator who can collaborate with a variety of colleagues and become a trusted team member
- Someone who can analyse problems, and create innovative solutions in a competitive and commercial environment
- Keen attention to detail and the drive to keep on learning
- Ambition, vision, enthusiasm and the drive to develop your technical skills
Rewards & Benefits
Atkins offers a competitive salary which will be discussed with you at offer stage. You can find out more details about our rewards and benefits on our website.
How to apply
Our deadline for applications is 18th December 2017. Some of our programmes are incredibly popular, to avoid disappointment (where some roles may close earlier) we recommend you apply as soon as possible
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!