Transportation - Asset Management Placements (2018)
In Transport Asset Management, we help our transportation, aviation and energy customers to get the most out of their infrastructure assets. We provide the information they need to make key plans and decisions about the future, such as when to invest in their assets and what maintenance activities to prioritise. We help clients understand their data and bring it to life, using tools such as FME and Tableau.
We also advise clients on the implementation of national guidance and best practice, such as the uptake of risk-based approaches to asset management. This often involves working closely with clients to understand their needs and aspirations, followed by developing and implementing improvement or transformation plans. The projects we work on are varied, dynamic and stimulating, providing plenty of opportunity for new challenges and personal growth.
Our practice operates where the digital world collides with our physical environment and as a result we're facing a wave of opportunity to use our skills in new ways. Our team is responding by growing and shaping the future of transportation. Whether your background is in engineering, mathematics or risk and resilience – you’ll enjoy some fantastic opportunities as part of our team.
What you’ll be doing
The sub-roles below describe in more detail the work you will be doing when you join our team. These are not rigid work descriptions, as our team works across disciplines to deliver great services to our clients. If one or more of these appeal to you, we would love to hear from you.
Providing support to Highway Authorities in the development of their highway asset management policies and strategies, and supporting them in all aspects of their journey to achieve efficient asset management
Providing technical and contractual advice to Local Authorities, Department for Transport and Strategic Transport Authorities across the UK
Developing and producing national asset management guidance
Asset data & analytics:
Working with strategic and local transport authorities to value the assets they own, improve data-led decision making and to challenge current ways of working with our own digital tools and approaches
Data analysis, evaluation, and reporting
Interpretation and write-up of analysis results
- Detailed pavement and scheme design
- Pavement rehabilitation assessment
- Development of structures asset management approaches, guidance and strategy
- Innovation in inspection, understanding and decision support tools
- Occasional site work, such as data collection or supervision of construction or maintenance activities
- Development of discipline technical excellence to support consultancy projects
All our roles involve engaging with clients and contributing to tenders and business development activities.
Where you'll be based
Our Asset Management team have industrial year and summer year placement opportunities in Birmingham
Who we’re looking for
- Summer Placement:On track to achieve a bachelor’s (2.1 or above) or masters (2.2 or above) in Civil Engineering, Maths, Economics, Risk or Resilience
- Industrial Year Placement:On track to achieve a bachelor’s (2.1 or above) or masters (2.2 or above) in Civil Engineering
- An interest in and a willingness to embrace digital technologies, recognising opportunities where they can help us and our clients work more efficiently
- Passionate about helping clients make better informed, data-driven decisions, applying the latest analytical and digital tools
- Prepared to thrive in a busy, innovative and challenging environment
- Drive and determination to achieve professional qualifications, such as Chartered Status (for example with the ICE, CIHT) or membership of other professional bodies
- Confident working on your own initiative and as part of multidisciplinary teams
- A good communicator who can analyse problems, create innovative solutions and manage your time effectively
- A flexible approach to travel as our projects and training may take you to a variety of locations in the UK and occasionally abroad
- Prepared to undergo a medical assessment, as some roles may involve working on site
Rewards & Benefits
At Atkins, you can choose from a wide range of great benefits. Click here to find all of the information you need so you can see what's on offer.
How to apply
Our deadline for applications is Monday 18th December 2017. Some of our programmes are incredibly popular, to avoid disappointment (where some roles may close earlier) we recommend you apply as soon as possible.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!