Energy - Naval Architecture Summer Placement (2018)
We’re looking for the next generation of engineers to join our Naval Architecture team in London. Atkins Energy business has worked in the offshore industry for more than 40 years. We’ve taken on and helped to successfully deliver some of the largest offshore structures and have been at the forefront of some of the industry’s most pioneering innovations. The Naval Architecture team typically work on tasks throughout the product lifecycle covering aspects including, concept design, detail design, fabrication support, in-operation integrity management and decommissioning. Some of our typical clients include; BP, Shell, Repsol, Statoil and E.ON.
What you’ll be doing
With the support of the London team you could find yourself doing some of the following tasks:
- Design and analysis of floating and fixed offshore structures including- FPSO/FLNG vessels, semi-submersibles, floating offshore wind turbines, fixed offshore wind turbines.
- Analysis of vessels and offshore structures using techniques including - hydrodynamic analysis, mooring analysis, stability analysis, structural assessments.
- Learning to use tools such as Ansys AQWA, DNV SESAM, Simulia Abaqus, MathCAD, and Python.
- Delivering projects such as those recently undertaken; Kincardine and Dounreay Tri floating offshore wind farms, Shell Prelude FLNG assessment, Premier Oil Solan subsea oil storage tank.
You could also…
In addition to some of the responsibilities you can see above, you could also be involved in:
- Supporting on some major projects across various areas of Energy from nuclear decommissioning, new power generation and transmission, to offshore, wave and tidal energy
- Reviewing and developing designs to improve plants, equipment, structures and Energy related systems
- Carrying out surveys and site inspections, building strong client relationships
- Using a variety of engineering software packages, as well as 2D and 3D modelling for new designs and modifications
- Producing safety cases, reports and documentation to support the planning, design, operation, maintenance and decommissioning of Energy facilities
- Carrying out design and assessment for new build projects as well as additions, modifications and repairs to existing assets.
Who we’re looking for
You’ll be on track to achieve a 2.2 master’s degree in Naval Architecture.
You’ll have ambition, vision, enthusiasm and the drive to keep on developing your technical skills. With a passion for working in a consultancy environment, you’ll want to work with customers and with teams who deliver to their customers and you’ll be adaptable and happy to cope with uncertainty. Communication and team-working will be your key skills as well as having the ability to apply your technical knowledge to analyse problems and create innovative solutions.
Benefits & Rewards
If you join us you will be working on some of the most challenging engineering projects of our time, helping to shape the future of energy. For a full list of our benefits, please visit our website.
How to apply
Our deadline for applications is Monday 18th December 2017. Some of our programmes are incredibly popular, to avoid disappointment (where some roles may close earlier) we recommend you apply as soon as possible.
NB: Successful candidates will be required to undergo a security vetting process and offers of employment will be subject to security clearance being granted.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!