Transportation - Civil & Structural Engineering Placements
Civil & Structures (including bridge design)
Atkins Transportation is a leading supplier of engineering services to government, regulatory and local authorities, infrastructure owners and operators. Our world class team of professionals have extensive skills and expertise across the Transportation sector, which are applied at every stage of projects from feasibility through to detailed design, construction and whole life asset management. These include the design of new bridges, renewal/maintenance of the operational network and its assets, delivery of new highways schemes and highways improvements, permanent way alignment and the civil engineering aspects of rail networks.
We’ve designed our placement opportunities to provide you with unique experiences as you play your part in all kinds of challenging transportation projects such as HS2, Birmingham New Street Station, Dubai Metro and the Design Build Finance & Operate (DBFO) of the M25.
Connect Plus Services (CPS):
Please note for our Dartford, Leatherhead and South Mimms requirement you will be working for our Connect Plus Services forward programme of structures work. They are involved in a diverse range of work on the M25 network from overseeing the structures asset inventory, carrying out inspections and planning and prioritising essential work programmes. Acting as a Undergraduate Engineer or Undergraduate Project Manager you will be working with Highways England and Connect Plus as primary clients.
What you’ll be doing
During your placement, you’ll be responsible for:
- Developing your engineering skills and experience across a variety of rail and highways projects
- Delivering solutions to engineering problems
- Preparing design documentation, including sketches, drawings, calculations, reports and specifications
- Working collaboratively with others to deliver projects to our clients
- Ensuring tasks are carried out within agreed timescales and budgets
- Comply with Quality, Safety and Environmental legislation and procedures
Where you’ll be based
Atkins Transportation have teams based across the UK:
Scotland & NI - Belfast, Edinburgh
North – Stockton, Warrington, York
Midlands – Birmingham, Derby
South East – Cambridge, Chelmsford, Croydon, Dartford (CPS), Epsom, Leatherhead (CPS), South Mimms (CPS)
South West – Bristol, Cardiff, Swindon, Swansea, Trowbridge
INDUSTRIAL YEAR PLACEMENTS
North – Stockton, Warrington
Midlands – Birmingham
South East – Cambridge, Chelmsford, Dartford (CPS), Epsom, Leatherhead (CPS), South Mimms (CPS)
South West – Cardiff
Who we’re looking for
We’re looking for someone who enjoys an engineering challenge and finding a solution, to ensure our teams always deliver great things for our clients and the end user. We expect you to have:
- On track to achieve a bachelor’s (2.1 or above) or masters (2.2 or above) in Civil or Structural Engineering
- Good understanding of engineering principles
- Excellent communication skills to enable you to work with multidisciplinary teams
- Motivation to learn from your experiences and those around you, with determination to achieve Chartered Status
- A flexible approach to travel as our projects and training may take you to a variety of locations in the UK and possibly abroad
- Prepared to undergo a medical assessment, where necessary for undertaking work on site
Rewards & Benefits
At Atkins, you can choose from a wide range of great benefits. Visit our website to find all of the information so you can see what's on offer.
How to apply
Our deadline for applications is Monday 18th December 2017. Some of our placement roles are incredibly popular, to avoid disappointment (where some roles may close earlier) we recommend you apply as soon as possible.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!