Civil and Structural Engineering Graduate Scheme 2019 - Transportation
Do you want to work on some of the most prestigious, innovative and demanding construction projects within the transportation sector? From Crossrail to HS2, to managing the M25 and construction of a new motorway around Newport to ease congestion and on to London’s Heathrow Airport and the London Underground network.
Atkins Transportation is a leading supplier of engineering services to government, regulatory and local authorities, infrastructure owners and operators. Our world class team of professionals have extensive skills and expertise across the Transportation sector, which are applied at every stage of projects from feasibility through to detailed design, construction and whole life asset management. These include the design of new bridges, renewal/maintenance of the operational network and its assets, delivery of new highways schemes and highways improvements, permanent way alignment and the civil engineering aspects of rail networks.
We’ve designed our graduate opportunities to provide you with unique experiences as you play your part in all kinds of challenging transportation projects such as HS2, Birmingham New Street Station, Dubai Metro and the Design Build Finance & Operate (DBFO) of the M25.
What you’ll be doing
- Working as a Graduate Engineer, you’ll be responsible for:
- Developing your engineering skills and experience across a variety of rail and highways projects.
- Delivering solutions to engineering problems.
- Preparing design documentation, including sketches, drawings, calculations, reports and specifications.
- Working collaboratively with others to deliver projects to our clients.
- Ensuring tasks are carried out within agreed timescales and budgets.
- Comply with Quality, Safety and Environmental legislation and procedures.
- Using your ideas and creative thinking to drive innovation into our processes and tools to improve the way we deliver our designs.
Who we’re looking for
- Achieved or on track to achieve a bachelor’s (2.1 or above) or masters (2.2 or above) in, Construction Project Management, Project Management, Physics, Maths, Data Science or any Engineering degree.
- Drive and determination to achieve Chartered Status.
- Confident working on your own initiative and as part of multidisciplinary teams.
- A good communicator who can analyse problems, create innovative solutions and manage your time effectively.
- A flexible approach to travel as our projects and training may take you to a variety of locations in the UK and possibly abroad.
- Prepared to undergo a medical assessment, as some roles may involve working out on site.
- Experience with APM or PRINCE2 would be advantageous.
- Knowledge of transporting systems or engineering would be advantageous.
- A settling in payment of £2,500 when you join – paid within the first month.
- Continuous support and mentoring to achieve chartered status with your chosen institution, funded by Atkins. With a chartership/accreditation bonus of £2,500 once attained.
- A robust career development plan, including a library of core learning modules and on the job technical training.
- 25 days annual leave, plus bank holidays, with the option to buy up to 15 additional days leave per year.
- 2 volunteer days per year for you to use for a cause that matters to you.
- Local graduate forums & a strong graduate network across all locations.
- Annual events, such as our 2-day graduate induction, ski trips, away weekends, team building activities.