IM&T Data Scientist Graduate Scheme
As a Graduate Data Scientist, your role will be to create value from data, ensuring the highest data quality, to support the Submarine build process. You will extract information from various sources and analyse it for better understanding about how the Submarines business performs, and to build BI tools that automate certain processes.
You will transform data into information using algorithms and machine learning. You will take on projects to meet a particular customer or business need and present their results using clear and engaging language.Your expected duties will include creating various machine learning-based tools or processes, such as recommendation engines or automated lead scoring systems. You will also perform some statistical analysis.
What you will be doing… (Role Duties and Responsibilities)
- Work closely with the wider business to identify issues and use data to propose solutions for effective decision making
- Merge, manage, interrogate and extract data to supply tailored reports to colleagues, customers or the wider Submarines organisation
- Maintain clear and coherent communication, both verbal and written, to understand data needs and report results
- Use machine learning tools and statistical techniques to produce solutions to problems
- Conduct research from which you’ll develop prototypes and proof of concepts
- Look for opportunities to use insights/datasets/code/models across all functions in the Submarines organisation
- Use algorithms to solve problems
Entry Requirements and what we are looking for
To apply, you’ll need to be on course for achieving a 2:2 Bachelor’s degree in computer science related degree. In addition, you must be eligible to work in the UK and be able to successfully achieve security clearance.
Overview of Business Unit
- Our Submarines business has been safely delivering world class submarines to the UK Royal Navy for more than a century.
- Today we are the prime contractor in the Astute programme and the UK’s only designer and builder of nuclear powered submarines – one of the world’s most complex engineering challenges. The first three submarines in the class, HMS Astute, HMS Ambush and HMS Artful, are now in service with the Royal Navy and the final four Astute class submarines are at various stages of construction at the Barrow site.
- We are also the industrial lead for the Dreadnought programme, the Royal Navy’s next generation of nuclear deterrent submarines. Construction of the first of four submarines, named Dreadnought, began last year
- Our Submarines business employs approximately 8,700 people and in 2017 we spent around £700m with over 700 suppliers.
Security/ Export Control statement
Please be aware that many roles working for BAE Systems will be subject to both security and export control restrictions. These restrictions mean that factors including your nationality, any previous nationalities you have held, and/or your place of birth may limit those roles that you can perform for the organisation.
Diversity & Inclusion Statement
We are an inclusive employer. Recruiting, retaining and inspiring the best people from the widest pool is vitally important to us. We encourage and welcome applications from all sections of society and are happy to discuss reasonable adjustments and/or additional arrangements you may need to support your application.
Please note the role will close at the end of April however where sufficient applications have been received it may close sooner.